New York state law issues - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #121
RoyalPythonPros
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
There is no restriction on BPs at the State level. There may be local restrictions on the number of any type of animal you can keep without being designated as (something); and there are local laws that do prohibit even owning BPs (ie NYC). It is, IMO, unlikely that local agencies would find out about, or pursue, such issues unless it was called to their attention.
While I am definitely a proponent of knowing, and operating within, the laws, I'm also a strong advocate of keeping my business MY business (good fences make good neighbors type of thing). If you don't broadcast the number of snakes that you have, or that you are breeding them, then nobody has any reason to be concerned about them. A neighbor that has an issue with you, or is scared of snakes, can cause aggravation even if you aren't breaking laws....in some cases, their actions could result in laws against reptiles (snakes, in this case).
Harald,

This is actually happening to me as we speak. Do you know where specifically the list of legal and illegal snakes for NY state is?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #123
ReptileStation
Your ONLY allowed to have dogs and cats in NY.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #124
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalPythonPros View Post
Harald,

This is actually happening to me as we speak. Do you know where specifically the list of legal and illegal snakes for NY state is?
There isn't really a list of what is legal - the lists are all about the exceptions to what is allowed; and you won't find the prohibited animals all on one list. There are rules about native reptiles that you'll have to search the DEC site to find; then there are the things under the scope of the Special Licenses Dept; endangered/threatened species fall under a different department; and that's just the State stuff. I know that several localities have far more restrictive laws than what we see at the state level.
The law that really took out a lot of stuff was circa 2005 - I don't have a link handy, and it's really too much to list everything here (not to mention that I'd probably forget something, even though I'm fairly familiar with it).

If you want, send me a PM.

I would have responded sooner, but I saw that links were posted...I didn't bother following them until just now.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #125
ReptileGirl07
NYS DEC is fairly helpful as it concerns reptiles. Get their answers in email.

I was able to get some info on owning Burmese, Retics, Condas, Venomous, and Gators in NYS. It's not hard to do but does require NYS DEC Permits and enclosure designs be submitted for approval.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #126
hhmoore
That may depend on the particular office, lol. I used to be well known at the Albany Special Licenses office; but, the last few times I called, I got no straight answers...and when I went in person, I couldn't get past the lobby. Emails sent directly to the department head went unanswered.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #127
RoyalPythonPros
I ONLY have Ball Pythons and all of a sudden one complaint had the cops at my house to make sure that i didn't have anything illegal. I fully allowed them to check everything I had and besides being amazed at some of the morphs, were very nice about everything. Especially once I explained how it wouldn't be wise for me, as law enforcement myself, to keep anything illegal that could jeopardize my job. I only know of one guy personally around me that has permits for just about anything he wants, most people know him as Jerry the Snakeman. One of the most knowledgeable people I know about snakes.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #128
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileStation View Post
Your ONLY allowed to have dogs and cats in NY.
So not true

Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #129
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalPythonPros View Post
I ONLY have Ball Pythons and all of a sudden one complaint had the cops at my house to make sure that i didn't have anything illegal. I fully allowed them to check everything I had and besides being amazed at some of the morphs, were very nice about everything. Especially once I explained how it wouldn't be wise for me, as law enforcement myself, to keep anything illegal that could jeopardize my job. I only know of one guy personally around me that has permits for just about anything he wants, most people know him as Jerry the Snakeman. One of the most knowledgeable people I know about snakes.
Being in law enforcememt doest stop cops from doing things outside the box! It makes some think they are untouchable. Being from a family full of cops,i know first hand they dont follow all rules and laws.

I have had animal control here and they seen many of my big boas. They are still allowed in nys.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #130
snakeboy10
Some people just can't mind there own businesses.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!