Wisconsin state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
Adamanteus
Wisconsin state law issues

State Homepage - http://www.wisconsin.gov/

State Legislature - http://legis.state.wi.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html

Old 07-26-2003, 04:07 PM   #2
Hlynn1975
The state legislature link did not work for me but this one does.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/

Just incase anyone else has a problem with the link posted by Mark.

Old 07-26-2003, 10:29 PM   #3
Adamanteus
Thank you Heather,

Old 01-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
sschind
NeWisconsin Legislation?

I just read in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal that the Wisconsin legislature is considering a law that would require all animals entering into the state to have a veterinary certificate of health. There is an informational meeting in Madison on Feb 3rd that I am planning on attending. If I find out anything I will keep you posted. If anyone knows anything please pass it on.

Steve Schindler

Old 02-02-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
vettesherps
There is also a meeting on the 5th in Green Bay that I plan to attend. I am not totally sure how this ruling will be interpreted but it could very well affect every keeper/breeder in the state. From what I have read it will also require a permit from the Dept of Ag. to import any exotic. (they consider any animal not native to WI as exotic) The law has already been passed. These are hearings to decide how the law should be enforced and how it will apply to specific animals. We need all the support we can get.

Check out this link: http://www.datcp.state.wi.us/core/ag...e_wildlife.pdf

Wish us luck. We will need it.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
vettesherps
Here is my take on the results of the meeting in Green Bay

On February 5th the following members of the FVHC attended the hearing held by the DNR in Green Bay:

George Gunther
Nancy Gurno
Bill Heindl
Lonnie Moens
Bill Hewitt
And reptile friend Al Guetzkow

Our purpose was to determine the extent of application the Captive Wildlife statute would have on herpers in Wisconsin. The wording in the statute was very ambiguous and many of us were concerned that the implications on us could severely hamper our educational and keeping goals. The representatives from Madison said they would allow a few minutes for questions to clarify the intent of the statute. Those of us present questioned the representatives for over an hour before we felt we had clarified the intent and had all of our questions and concerns addressed. This is the way the statute was explained as I understand it.

1. The requirement for a veterinary certificate will only apply to animals being brought into Wisconsin. This will apply to all reptiles as they are all considered as wild animals. The animals we currently possess will not need this certificate, unless you intend to transport them out of the state and then return with them. You would also need the certificate if you were having someone transport them and were paying for the service. All animal transporters are required to have in their possession a veterinary certificate. Owners transporting their own animals with in the state of Wisconsin would not require the same certificate. Please be aware that animals bought out of the state and brought into Wisconsin do need a vet. cert. Prior to entering the state. This means if you travel to Streamwood and purchase an animal you will need the certificate from the state of origin to bring it back.
2. The animal transport license that is called for by the statute only applies to those transporters who transport animals for hire. This means the if you are paid to transport animals you would be required to have the animal transport license. One of the representatives said this is an area we need to be careful with because in his words if you agree to transport another persons animal(s) for any compensation, you would be required to have this license, even if it is for something other than money. I do think there could be a problem here in as much as many of us have received animals through UPS or Airborne Express. They would now be required to have an animal transport license in Wisconsin. This would mean that any animal you purchase even on line if shipped by a common carrier needs this and I am sure they will want a vet. Cert. also to make them legal. This may significantly increase the cost of shipping an animal to our state.
3. The nest issue we discussed was the Dept. of Ag. permit. We were informed that this permit was not required for all animals. Most reptiles would not require it. The representative explained that they felt it would mainly apply to certain species of venomous herps and may apply to some species considered to carry diseases that humans may easily catch if they contact these animals. Just my opinion but this may apply to turtles and iguanas because they are widely considered as carriers of salmonella.
4. The final issue we discussed was the one requiring the vet. Cert. for swaps, shows and exhibitions. After clarification on this point we were told that it does not apply to those animals we already have in Wisconsin for shows we do in Wisconsin.

So it is my opinion that we are not going to be severely impacted by this statute or at least not as severely as we had originally expected. We did manage as I said to take over an hour of their time but I feel it was worth it to reach an understanding and give us some assurances that we are not putting ourselves in jeopardy every time we leave with our animals to attend a show. There are some aspects of this statute that I think will benefit the public and us, and some that I feel will hurt the reptile community. I did get the feeling that most of this was pushed through because of the recent CDW and Monkey Pox outbreaks in Wisconsin. There was one other thing I feel is worth mentioning and that is that the representatives informed us that the DNR is currently drafting another bill that may impact us even more than this one. We will need to be on our toes and watch for it over the next several months. The representatives didn’t really have much information on this new threat but just by their mention I feel we should be concerned. I would like to thank those members and Al for coming to help support us at this hearing.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
Nnosker
find out anything?

Hello,

Did you find out anything at that meeting?

Old 02-10-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
NEWReptiles
Read the post above yours Nick.....

Old 02-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
sschind
Quote:
The law has already been passed. These are hearings to decide how the law should be enforced and how it will apply to specific animals.

It was my understanding that this is separate from the captive wildlife bill that was enacted in the summer of 02 and had not been passed yet. If you are correct, I got nothing out of the madison hearing that indicated anything of the sort of enforcement or animal specifics.

Al;

You have presented a very good synopsis of the situation, and it would seem that the GB meeting was better attended than the Madison one. I had considering closing down for the day to attend the GB meeting and voice my concerns and ask questions that were raised at madison one but it just wasn't practical. In essence I would agree with your comments, but there is just one that got to me. Its not so much that I disagree with the comment, In I fact agree with it completely. It's just that the comment itself sounds like you (and others, including myself, who have voiced the same thing) are getting ready to throw in the towel.

Quote:
So it is my opinion that we are not going to be severely impacted by this statute or at least not as severely as we had originally expected.
As long as you never intend to purchase an animal from out of state again, or travel with your animals out of state and plan on returning with them, then no, you won't be impacted by this statute. That comment sounds much like the one that went out to many people from Ed Stone from Madison. He was very concerned about this untill he found out that his breeding and selling of snakes within Wisconsin would not be hampered. All of a sudden, this turned into a good thing.

All this bill will do is serve to kill any sort of variety available at any Wisconsin swap meet. Take a look at the vendors at any swap, and now remove any that travel here from outside Wisconsin. If they have to go through all the trouble of getting permits for each and every animal they bring into the state, many will say the heck with it and not even bother.

Part of the problem is that the herp comunity is still so divided. Its still, breeders VS importers, VS pet shops, VS swap vendors VS etc. etc. A lot of people are looking at this as "oh, it will only affect pet shops and since all pet shops suck anyway this is not a bad thing" The truth is that while some people may benefit from this most will not.

I speak as someone who lives close to the Illinois border. I travel to the Streamwood swap regularly (I don't really buy much there because I can't find what I want very often) but I do buy feeders from there. I would assume that this will affect me and my neighbors more than it will affect those of you from farther up north, but it will affect us all. And I would venture to guess that way up nort dere there are not as many people selling locally raised snakes so more have to be purchased from farther ranging sources which I would assume would involve out of state purchases. (before you get on me about the up nort thing, I was born and raised in Chippewa Falls and I still consider myself a Northerner.) It will not affect those of you who are into the expensive stuff as much as it will affect the beginner. If you are paying $1000.00 for a snake whats another $25.00 or so for a vet cert. but what about the people who are starting out on the 20.00 corn snakes and leopard geckos.

One other factor that is overlooked. What about people like Rich. I don't know how many of his customers are from Wisconsin, but this will have an impact on him as well. I bought 40 or so snakes from him last year. If I have to get a certificate of health for each one, I will probably look elsewhere. This bodes well for Jim at SW Wisconsin reptile, but it sure cuts into my options, not to mention Rich's customer base.

This will not only affect reptiles. It will affect ALL animals, and while we may not give a rats patoot about a rats patoot, all animal lovers have to stick together. There was a petition at streamwood yesterday about a bill that bans interstate trade of all small mammels or something to that effect. Aside from feeders we may not have concerns about small animals, but when they get their foot in the door with small animals the next step just may be reptiles.

I don't know what the answers are. I don't know If I will get answers to the questions I raised in my letter or not. All I know is this. This industry (the pet industry) is hurt more by people who are out to make a quick buck by selling crappy animals than anything else. You may not be in the market for those animals, and if you get ripped off for $2000.00 on the next hot morph snake it may not seem like it to you, but face it. That scam artist who got to you will not have as much of an impact on the hobby (or business, or whatever you call it) as the guy who imports the next $25.00 exotic rodent that was not properly quarantined and causes the next outbreak of whatever pox. In most instances I am preaching to the choir here. For the most part people who come to these forums are pretty much of a like mind set when it comes to this. The sad part is that the people who have the most negative influence on us are the ones that don't care. if things close down they will either move on to something else or continue underground making criminal out of even more unsuspecting people and further damaging the hobby. As bad as it sounds, Sometimes I wonder why I even stay in this hobby.

Sorry about the rant, I hope you can make heads or tails out of what I wrote.

Steve Schindler

Old 02-16-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
sschind
sorry George

Sorry George, for some reason I thought your comments in the second post were made by Al. I saw his name on the list.

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!