MY SNAKE SPIT UP!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
LaseyWasey
MY SNAKE SPIT UP!!!

I had snakes all my life of course every now and then one gets sick. Today when my husband came home from work he checked on a pos GRAVID Sunglow. She seemed to have puked up a rat from like 4 or 5 days ago. The temps are 83 low end and 98 hot side, so we are kind of lost words on trying to up with an idea on a realistic factor on why this happened. The only thought is it was a bad rat. The rat was frozen bought from Coby out LA. Coby has always had the best price and cleanest rodents, so there a cause for concern that maybe its something els. I was going to upload a video of the rat, but ill save your dinner. Basically, it was a slug covered in a little hair and a lot of bones.... Most times with us, if a snake is going to puke, it will do so with in 48 hours at the most! This rat was down for 100+ nice and warm hours. We grow even more scared because in our personal opinion, after that much times passes, there shouldn't have been as much of the bones left over. We are Freaking out over here. We have Dr White, the best vet in the USA hands down, and if someone thinks different we will debate on another post....if our boa continues any type of stuff like this, then its checkup time....

Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Metachrosis
Did you ever consider rocks as pets ?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
hmm only things I've seen or heard of that could cause a regurg after so long of a time - something happened with the temps (temp spike?) or she's sick and this is a sign of it. You mention she's poss gravid - how far along? How long have you had this snake? What have her feeding habits been? (prey size? how often?) Was she handled at all during the time after feeding until now? Has she ever regurged before?

edit to add- I am taking your word that this is a regurg. of course I am not a vet

Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Snakesitter
Another possibility, Lacey: could the regurg be from a few days back and was just noticed? I agree, that time delay is odd.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
JCCS
I see a couple issues that could have caused this. For one, I highly advise against feeding gravid females. There's just not much to be gained in it and it usually winds up stressing the female more than just leaving her alone. Second, that high temp is way too high. Bring it down to around 90. Good luck with her.

Chris

Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Are you positive your temps are accurate? as well?

If shes gravid, i agree with chris, just let her be. Feed her when shes done dealing with those young'uns!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!