opinions on lineage website for boa breeders - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
allreptiles1966
It does and thanks for clarifying April. I thought it helps to eliminate the 1 eyed issues.I was told it helps create stronger genes.
Every little bit someone tells me i listen and absorb.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
allreptiles1966
Gotta go,the other half is home.
Good night

Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #33
Varanis
I see a lot of this heading towards morphs and high end lines BUT I see another potential when it comes to pure locality animals.
I do know that there is a data base being built and compiled with regards to locality genetics and since there is way too much mixing of pure localities I would find a DNA verifiable database a benefit!
The problem is a semi complete database may be quite a ways off but if it was accomplished I would see it as a great help.
I spent over a year just researching and tracking down my pure El Salvador het bloods, Some purity breeders are hesitant when buying from any one other than the well known top line locality breeders and a DNA database and registry would be a useful tool in keeping breeders honest and pure lines pure!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #34
JCCS
Scott, that's where I see the most value of something like this as well. Unfortunately, the same problem still exists. With localities, you would have to map the entire genome and it would be much too expensive to be financially feasible even when it could become possible. I think it's a possibility many years down the line, but no time soon.

Chris

Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #35
Varanis
I agree,
I do know there is some DNA research just in its infancy being done with verifiable boas from specific locations BUT it is years away from a complete catalog and who knows by then with genetic differences we may have a whole new array of subspecies.
I cant remember who is doing it but I do know I had a friend recommend I save a couple shed skins from my St Pierre El Salvadors with the possibility of them being useful but I have yet to get the contact info as to where to send them.
I am told these may be used in the mapping process of specific localities?!?

It may be years down the road before it is feasible but if I can contribute to such a cause I am all for it!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #36
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varanis View Post
I cant remember who is doing it but I do know I had a friend recommend I save a couple shed skins from my St Pierre El Salvadors with the possibility of them being useful but I have yet to get the contact info as to where to send them.
I am told these may be used in the mapping process of specific localities?!?
That is also Dr Booth, the thread where he asked for the sheds is here:
http://www.reptileinsider.com/showthread.php?t=26717

and here is his contact info:
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/booth

Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #37
Varanis
Thank You April
I appreciate the info!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!