Spider wobble?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Glass Box Exotics
Angry Spider wobble??

Just hatched out some spider that have pretty bad wobbles. One of the babies I thought was dead when I checked on them due to his wobble. This is the first time I have ever had a clutch hatch out this bad I am looking for advice on where to go from here because I do not want to sell them to someone with this problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Old 11-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
David Reid
Give em out to locals who want a pet snake.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
If it were me, and they had severe wobbles, I'd put them down. That's a decision for each breeder to make personally though.

The spider wobble is an unfortunate side effect of the mutation. I have no issue breeding an animal with a minor wobble, because they will crop up in a project at some point regardless. Usually I advocate putting down inferior animals in order to ensure they do not contribute to the gene pool, but that isn't really an issue with this particular problem.
For spiders that wobble, I consider the quality of life to be the most important consideration. If you think they can lead a fairly normal life and not be unduly hindered by the wobble, then giving them away as pets is an option, but if there's any question about it, putting them down would be the best option for the snakes.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Just hatched out some spider that have pretty bad wobbles. One of the babies I thought was dead when I checked on them due to his wobble. This is the first time I have ever had a clutch hatch out this bad I am looking for advice on where to go from here because I do not want to sell them to someone with this problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Every spider hatched has this genetic defect in it even if it is not displayed at an early age. the ones that seem ok will display the wobbly twisting behavior at a later date.

I hatched many spiders and after awhile I decieded that I could not sell such a defective BP.

As far as giving them away I think we all know that the possibility of them being bred is great.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
evilcowboy420
Yeah if you just give them away at least one person will undoubtedly breed them. However you could give them to someone you trust. also look into local schools and educational places. It could be a great learning animal for some students. I know some elementary schools would welcome something like that.

Also I agree that if they can't seem to have a somewhat normal life then they should be put down. But if you can manage to get them fed without assistance and have them live normal lives without any special care then by all means keep them alive and give them to a responsible person who will not breed them or keep them as a display animal for yourself.

But ultimately the decision is yours. If it isn't absolutely horrible you could also consider selling them as pets for a reduced price (something like the price of a normal) with a disclaimer to only be used as a pet. That head wobble thing is what has kept me from even buying a spider.

They are very pretty snakes but in the end they are a mutation that should no longer be produced due to the obvious defect of the animal. this is why certain rats of mine I will not breed because the particular rat has an obvious defect and I do not want to pass on the gene (yeah not all my rats go for food lol). But that is my opinion and I am in no way saying anything bad about any breeder who continues to use them in projects. The head wobble may lessen if bred to another non spider so I do see some importance for some people and their projects.

Hope the little guys turn out alright.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
David Reid
I have an adult Spider female, and a Sub Adult Spider Mojave and Sulfur Spider, as well as a baby Cinnabee. In my case, my adult female Spider head bobs when food is introduced. She does not tie herself in knots, and seems like a nice content snake. The two sub adults are her offspring, and both act about like she does. The Cinnabee is not from this adult, and acts so far, as normal as any of my other 09's.

The Spider is one of my favorite morphs, I would say, start with a snake that is a non wobbler or one that just head bobs, and the babies should be similar. Start with one that ties itself in knots, who knows how the babies will act.

Dave

Old 11-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Glass Box Exotics
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have given the spider with the bad wobble to a friend of mine who just wants a pet and will not breed him. I think he will be just fine, he has always ate good just have never had one hatch out like this. One more question, could temp. play a role because when I reduced the temp. in my room to start cooling some adults the wobble has stopped, just curious.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
rabernet
I did a breeder loan with a friend two seasons ago, and one of the males I was supposed to get, was described as a "trainwreck" shortly after I picked him out. I then chose a different male instead of him, because my friend did not feel he could in good conscience let me take this male.

Fast forward a few months, several meals and a few hundred grams on him and all he had then was a very slight head wobble. We traded back the male I wasn't as crazy about for the male I originally picked out. Today, he only has a slight head shake when he's fed.

We had a clutch of 8 spiders and 3 normals, so we each got 2.2 spiders out of that loan. All of them had varying degrees of a wobble when they hatched, the four that I have now all only display a very mild head wobble when excited.

At least with my small sampling, age and weight significantly reduced the amount of wobble/spin with this group. You may want to give them a few months of feeding and see how they mature before you make any final decision on what you want to do with them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!