Educational Services - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
scalesnstuff
Educational Services

I have seen numerous posts about the public needing to be educated about animals. What I am offering is my help on getting individuals set up to do presentations.

My classes are appreoved by the Board of Education in our county. We are also setting up a Boy Scouts class for the Reptile and Amphibian Study Merit Badge and might be helping with the Air Force SERE (survival, evasion, resistance and escape ) classes. If you are interested let me know and we can help get you started.

We have a DVD that we show at the beginning of the class, if you would want a copy its the cost of the DVD and shipping which is around 5.00 dollars.

We believe that education is important and are looking for people that have the same beliefs that we do and the time to visit the local schools in their area.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Wilomn
While your heart is in the right place, you need to be REALLY careful who you send where.

I know a guy out here who has been doing presentations for years and you should see some of his competition. You get people who have had 3 or 4 snakes that are in it more for the attention than the education of the masses. They are also frequently blaringly ignorant of many facts and give out info that they KNOW is true, despite what anyone else says.

Great idea. Also, in this sue happy world, if you train someone and something goes wrong, who do you think will be blamed?

Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
scalesnstuff
Its actually not training

but a layout of what is expected in our county. The individual can email us and say this what we have then we steer them in the direction they need to go. In the end the individual gets approved not me. But it is how to go about and do this. We do not focus on theories but cold hard facts. I have collected alot of basic information on various species and reptiles.

For instance we tap into Van Der Walls force for the Geckos, Nasa research with the Australian Burrowing Frog, and some medical significance with venom. Along with a description of herpetology and how many recognized species of each there is (ie amphibians, reptiles, lizards). We found what the schools and teachers want is more of a hands on experience ( I use that lightly now, because no school will allow the animals to be handled) and facts about the animal, scientific name, locale, habits etc.

It might be more easy for me to start posting the info here and let the individual choose which they want. I am wanting to be more of a helper on devolping a lecture from our county guidelines and obtaining accurate facts. We work with 30-40 different species in our classes.

Once it goes through the BOE then it is the standard for all classes and is not changed with the exception of Christian Schools. This is something that takes time. You just don't walk into a classroom, you have to meet with the teachers check the curriculum to see where the students are at educational wise and then develop the class. Like you said we have one here that claims an Anaconda gets 60 feet long because a tribes man says he saw one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!