Anticipation.... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
mxracer4life
I read somewhere that the eye bulge is what leads to eye removal, usually caused by an infection that comes about due to the albino gene, especially a weaker albino gene. It also said that it is also caused by excessive fluid build up from behind the eye, and some vets can apply something to the eye to help remove the excess fluid.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
deborahbroadus
Oh poor babies. I hope they aren't in pain.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
It has nothing to do with her size or anything Herald did wrong.
I wasn't implying Harald did anything wrong. I was merely asking questions to eliminate other possibilities.

In my opinion the albino boas were bred too quickly when they first hit the trade and the end result is weaker genes and these obvious problems. Some people were just to anxious to make albinos and went about it too quickly and the repercussions are still being seen.

When I was breeding boas I did not have these problems but I did tend to breed hets to hets and only on two occasions did I breed visuals and that was a visual to a het, never visual to visual. I also knew the visuals were produced from a het to het.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
garweft
Quote:
It has nothing to do with her size or anything Herald did wrong. This has happened with all kinds of breeders that have used a wide variety of conditions. It is a random occurance in the albinos only, not even the littermates. Although I am sure a non albino somewhere has been born with an eye problem. This is generaly in albinos, sunglows, snows, and moonglows, and it is happening in both strains. This is an albino problem. As for the eyes, if you think they look bad now just wait a couple of weeks. And if Harold wants to take pics then, that is up to him. I know you won't want him to.
You mean after the eyes pop out of the socket.....

Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
You mean after the eyes pop out of the socket.....
Can't anything be done to prevent this? Would it be better to put them down now?

Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #26
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
I wasn't implying Harald did anything wrong. I was merely asking questions to eliminate other possibilities.

In my opinion the albino boas were bred too quickly when they first hit the trade and the end result is weaker genes and these obvious problems. Some people were just to anxious to make albinos and went about it too quickly and the repercussions are still being seen.

When I was breeding boas I did not have these problems but I did tend to breed hets to hets and only on two occasions did I breed visuals and that was a visual to a het, never visual to visual. I also knew the visuals were produced from a het to het.
I don't know how many albino boas you have produced, but if you produce enough of them, sooner or later this will happen to you.

Because the Kahl strain has been so outcrossed, people are now having great success breeding a visual to a visual. The Kahl albinos are doing much better now then they did ten or fifteen years ago.

The bug eye problem is a random thing that usually only affects a visual, not a het. I can't say for certain was causes it, but I will say, Harold did nothing wrong, and his female is perfectly fine. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, his female just went up in value, because she is a proven breeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
You mean after the eyes pop out of the socket
They don't accually pop out of the socket. I would prefer not to comment any further on the subject, as it may open up a whole new can of worms.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #27
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Can't anything be done to prevent this? Would it be better to put them down now?
This is exactly what I was refering to when I said it would open up a whole new can of worms.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #28
deborahbroadus
Quote:
This is exactly what I was refering to when I said it would open up a whole new can of worms.
It was not a "can of worms" to me. It was a serious question. I have Albinos; the trait referred to in this strain is also evident in the Albino Ball Pythons. If/when it happens to me, I would want to know what options are available. I am sorry I didn't phrase it better.

I am interested in the subject.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #29
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
It was not a "can of worms" to me. It was a serious question. I have Albinos; the trait referred to in this strain is also evident in the Albino Ball Pythons. If/when it happens to me, I would want to know what options are available. I am sorry I didn't phrase it better.

I am interested in the subject.
Well, you may not view it as a can of worms, but some will, and I am one of them, and this is no offence to you, as I understand where you are coming from. The reason for the term "can of worms" is because everyone is going to give their opinion of what Harold should do with the bug eyed babies. There will be people who say kill them and others will say let them live. Then this whole thread turns ugly from all the arguing back and forth. This thread was started because Harold was happy about the litter he produced and wanted to share it with the Fauna community.

What it ultimitely boils down to is this in all cases. The breeder (in general) has to make that decision as to what becomes of them. I will not judge the breeder for his/her decision because there is a living animal involved in all of it.

Some things are better off not being said in a public forum because someone may say that is not politicaly correct. Although some will not argue with it, some will and one's reputation could become tarnished over their opinions of what should be done. So, I say, it is up to the breeder and the breeder alone, as to what should be done.

I was not aware of this in the albino balls. My advise to you is ask around, and find people who have produced them and see what they did with the babies. I find that reptile shows are one of the best ways to find information on any subject. You will find more information at a show then you will in a forum because more people will discuss things at shows. Verbal communication is far more popular then sitting and typing on a keyboard, and a ten minute conversation may take two hours to type out.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
DAND
Quote:
I don't know how many albino boas you have produced, but if you produce enough of them, sooner or later this will happen to you.

Because the Kahl strain has been so outcrossed, people are now having great success breeding a visual to a visual. The Kahl albinos are doing much better now then they did ten or fifteen years ago.
I only produced about 3 dozen albinos and it has been around 10 years or so since I was producing boas. (bilateral nerve problems in both hands and arms has limited the size of critters I am comfortable handling anymore. Thanks goodness for the smaller species of boas. )

Quote:
The bug eye problem is a random thing that usually only affects a visual, not a het. I can't say for certain was causes it, but I will say, Harold did nothing wrong, and his female is perfectly fine. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, his female just went up in value, because she is a proven breeder.
I agree and I agree.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!