Kentucky state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Kentucky state law issues

The ban goes into effect July 1. It is another one of those terribly worded laws passed by the ignorant and includes all "constricting snakes". The letter of the law now apparently bans cornsnakes and kingsnakes along with all boas and pythons regardless of size.
There is no grandfather clause, all current owners will be required to get rid of their animals or face misdemeanor charges and fines up to $500.
The ban also includes many other animals including rats and mice.

Here is the link to the Kentucky Post article on it
http://www.kypost.com/2003/06/25/exotic062503.html

Old 07-01-2003, 04:00 AM   #2
SPJ
That is a stupid law. Didn't they do any research before they wrote and approved it? No venomous or constricting snakes. Well, what the hell does that leave? Egg-eating snakes? With the ban on rodents, you could only feed an egg-eating snake. These uneducated lawmakers need to be stopped. Didn't they offer a public hearing before the vote took place? They tried to ban any constrictor that has "the potential to reach 6 feet or more" in my town (since female BP's can very rarely hit 6 feet I took it very personally and was not going to surrender my collection). Needless to say there were a lot of complaints by both snake owners and local petstores and eventually the ban was defeated. Wasn't there any way to stop this before it became law?

Old 07-01-2003, 06:27 AM   #3
Rob BryertonRKK
Research?LOL

IMO The only Constrictors most politicians have seen were in the movies and on TV. "Anaconda" is a good one. I bet most believe that junk. These people go with what Peta and the HSUS says which is totally wrong but they believe them.
In New York they tried to pass the Tonko Bill which looks almost identical to the one Clay brought up and the numerous other ones. Doesn't that seem odd that different SENATORS in different STATES wrote almost the same exact thing? And made the same mistakes BTW. That's because they have Peta and HSUS write IT and they put their name on IT.
Here in NY The Herp Societies came together and explained that Constrictors aren't just Huge Pythons and Boas, they include Kings and Corns. So they put a size limit on it for NOW. They say that if you have a snake that can grow to 10' that you have to let your town or village clerk know to protect firemen and other emergency personell that might enter your house.
They don't want to let the public know when they are going to pass a bill because they want to send it right through.
I just recieved my HERP newsletter last week. Guess how many New Bills there are relating to Animals? 32 yes THIRTY-TWO. Now some would make great laws but I've seen them lump them together B4 in hopes of getting them through. This crap is never ending. They piggyback good w/ the bad.
I'll stop writing now B4 I lose it. It's awful early or late. I'm not sure which. Glad I'm not working today.LOL
Take Care, Rob

Old 07-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
corallusguy
Is this just for covington? I live in burbon (spelling?) county and have 11 snakes and 6 turtles, there is no freakn way I am about to get rid of my herps!! They will have to take them out of my cold dead hands before I hand them over. STuped, stuped, stuped!

Old 07-03-2003, 11:55 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
Apparently this ban is only for Covington. From the wording of the news article it appears to me to only be in effect in the city itself, and not the entire county. I could easily be wrong on that point however.
At any rate, this ban was proposed in Covington two weeks before it was passed. I doubt there was any public hearing on the matter since the article says it was passed on a Tuesday night. You may do well to attempt to keep tabs on your local politicians. These things sometimes have the ability to spread once it happens the first time.
When politicians start outlawing things in secret without consulting their constituents, they're doing nothing more than trying to play mommy to the people. This is not acceptable.

Government by the people for the people is often a fanciful dream in our great land of democracy. More often it's government of the people by the establishment, with no input from the governed.
Unfortunately when trying to force change by public demand, numbers (votes) matter, and getting any real support from the general public to demand such a ban be lifted or changed will be difficult at best and futile at worst.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:33 PM   #6
HerpVenue
Laws are made by lawmakers.
lawmakers are voted on by the people.
Lawmakers are there to represent their people.

Didn't the lawmakers consult anyone? Or did they just decide to make a law on their own for the fun of it?

Old 07-23-2003, 01:09 AM   #7
Adamanteus
Kentucky State Links

State Homepage - http://www.kydirect.net/

State Legislature - http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/statrev/frontpg.htm

Old 07-24-2003, 07:26 PM   #8
Donnie Smith
Angry Kentucky Emergency Legislation enacted

I am too angry to comment. Please read the info at the following link.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/081E.htm

Old 07-24-2003, 11:07 PM   #9
Dwight Good
Hi Donnie,
Why are you angry? I figure change is inevitable... and IMHO it could be much worse. Once you cool off a bit I'd love to hear your opinions of the new regs.

Thanks,
Dwight Good

Old 07-25-2003, 06:11 PM   #10
Dwight Good
Here is another good link:

Fish and wildlife department

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!