Fresh out of the box - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
RachelsBoa
Fresh out of the box

This girl just arrived today. Fresh out of the shipping box and into quarantine. She's a jungle from Jordan Russell. Pictures aren't the best, will get outdoor ones when she's done being quarantined.

PS-How long does everyone usually quarantine? I finally got a separate room set up for new snakes.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
nice looking jungle! Bet she'll look a ton better after a couple weeks to settle in.
congrats on the new addition!

Quarantine, anywhere from 2-6 months (depending where I got the snake from...) some people go a year.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
bkline
Slamming looking jungle. Love that tail

Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
ShadowAceD
Great looking Jungle.

Quarantine works like this for me ...

Known Sources:
Neonates - 30 - 90 days, mostly because very few neonates will survive for a prolonged period of time with a serious health issue.
Yearlings - 3 - 6 months.
Sub-Adults/Adults - 6 - 12 months.

Unknown Source (not that I really seek these out ...)
Neonates - 90 days.
Juvies - 6 months.
Sub Adults/Adults - 12 months.

It all varies by person to person, but I have used those time frames for years and have had no issue. If I have the room, I'll keep animals in quarantine longer just because.

As a side note ... I quarantine in the walk-in closet of my bedroom which is isolated, quiet and can become very dark when the lights are out. I find neonates being brought in there first before being brought into the general population greatly minimizes their stress and makes for a more easily managed snake.

This may be just me though.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Snakesitter
She looks great -- congrats! I use a standard 180-day quarantine for all animals. I've used 90 days once or twice, but only for babies I've bought from firms I've had multiple successful transactions with. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
For me it's 6 months MINIMUM regardless of who I got it from. I don't even handle them for two weeks except to set them up with their cage, and verify sex. Rescues will go a year in quarantine. I feed, clean or tend all quarantine animals last.

Nice looking critter. Sure has some vibrant markings.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
RachelsBoa
Thank you everyone for the information!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #8
RossCA
Wow, that is nice!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
the gecko geek
I love jungles! I love how a tail stripe makes the snake look twice the size it really is. A beautiful snake INDEED!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!