Yep Rick, she has the 'big' genes... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
TheFragginDragon
Yep Rick, she has the 'big' genes...

A discussion on a different thread concerning size of boas prompted a surprised comment by my friend Rick Carew (from whom I got this girl Callisto from) about my description of her current size. She's about 2 1/2 yrs old now, and even though I'm feeding her relatively conservatively, she's growing like a weed. For scale reference, the cage she's in is 47" x 22" x 12". I'm definitely going to have to invest in a 6' cage for her soon. She is coloring up so nicely too, especially in the tail area.

(ps - don't mind the urates in Zeus's cage, he decided to leave it after I cleaned his cage the night before)

Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Matt2979
NICE! She is gonna be HUGE, too!!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
NICE! She is gonna be HUGE, too!!
Thanks Matt! It's amazing seeing this growth on feeding her only twice a month in summer, and once a month in winter. No fat rolls or bent up scales, and her head is in proportion to her body. Just wish she enjoyed being handled more . She's never been aggressive, but she doesn't necessarily like being taken out of her cage. Won't hear me complain though, she's a work of art.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Utta
off topic, but how do you like those flukers thermos? I love mine

Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
off topic, but how do you like those flukers thermos? I love mine
I only have one complaint about them, and that's when I use them in my egg containers during incubation, it seems the super-saturated air eventually fades the display, but otherwise they work great

Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
johnb88
Big girl! Very pretty too!

Are those Repti-Rack cages?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb88 View Post
Big girl! Very pretty too!

Are those Repti-Rack cages?
Thanks John!

Indeed they are, I'm very happy with them.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Interesting. Her sisters are just a tad smaller. They probably avg a meal every 3 weeks yr round. But admittedly, I was a little late on bumping up their prey size, due to I just wanted to use up the smalls. LOL

They're all 3 bigger then my '05 Honduran male though.

She's turning out to be a sweet critter John. Glad she ended up with you. Looks like she's getting the best of care.

PS, she has a couple sisters and a brother in this thread here...
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=191561

Thanks for the update!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
She's turning out to be a sweet critter John. Glad she ended up with you. Looks like she's getting the best of care.

Thanks for the update!
Thanks my friend, that means alot. I guarantee I'll be doing everything I can to make sure she accompanies me to a ripe old age.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
iasc300
Nice John shes a beaut! And like you already know, she sounds like shes going to be pretty big. At that rate now she may be pushing 8 feet by the time shes 5. Their growth slows down quite a bit after 3 years or so they but they keep growing and growing and growing lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!