ThermaFreeze cold cells - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Firebill
ThermaFreeze cold cells

Has anyone used them for shipping snakes? If so, how many did you need to use?

Thanks,

Bill

Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
axeman
Do you have a link?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Firebill
http://thermafreeze.com/

I bought mine from Reptilesexpress but haven't had a chance to test them yet. Also, you can buy them from the company of the link I provided. They are actually cheaper going that route as compared to getting them from Reptilesexpress, but I didn't find that out until after I received them and checked them out.

Neither site really had any information as to how many of the cells to use, which I know I'll just need to test them out myself first.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
axeman
Thx for the info. I tried a search on my tablet but couldn't find anything about these. I will have to check them out.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Nanci
I've been using Cryopak Phase 22 panels all summer. From the website:

Phase 22™ keeps product between 20-24 (C) degrees during shipment in hot or cold environments.

This phase change material is ideally suited for the shipment of blood products, tissues, pharmaceuticals, live animals and plants that must remain in the 20°C to 30°C range.

There is a lot of information about PCM panels on dendroboards, and you can buy them singly from Josh's Frogs. Apparently frog breeders have been using these for several years. I bought a case of both the hard panels and the soft gel packs. I prefer the panels. I generally use two in a 6 x 9 x 12 box. My contact at TCP Reliable is Donna Swisher.

In one test I did I drove From FL to KY with a snake packed as it would be for shipping, with PCM panels, with temp probes on the snake and on the panel. I didn't use the AC and let the temp in my truck get up to 95 for hours. The temp in the shipping box stayed at 72 the entire time.

I used these a little bit last winter, but hadn't had them very long before summer shipping started. I have also done two-phase shipping going from hot Florida to medium Memphis to cold destination, where I would start with frozen PCM panels, as well as a 40 hour heat pack in a deli. The PCM panels would thaw gradually and end up at 72, and the heat pack would then keep the snake warm for the rest of the trip.

Prep for the panels is freezing them for hot weather shipping and heating them to about 90F for cold weather shipping.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
axeman
Nanci, how long do the Phase 22's last. Went with the soft sided Phase 22 cold packs. Want to make sure. In AZ we can use cold packs but if I ship to other areas they may not need them.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
charlie476
I don't know much about it yet. However my FedEx rep mentioned a new service that would keep your package climate controlled. He said he thought it was like $7-$10. If so that would be wonderful. If those prices are correct you wouldn't be able to beat it. I will work on finding out more about it and what service it is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!