Should I or should I not ship? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
C.Santamarina
Question Should I or should I not ship?

I know this seems like a stupid question and this is not my first time shipping reptiles to new buyers but I am conflicted. I have a buyer that lives in a fairly cold part of the country, Anchorage to be more specific. He has paid me for the reptiles and the intention was to ship them out tomorrow. He paid through PayPal and is aware that if I ship to any other location other then the verified location on his PayPal account that PayPal will not guarantee his package. He is thinking he wants them to be held at the FedEx hub in Anchorage. We have been in constant communication since the transaction and we have both been keeping a close eye on the weather on both ends. I am in NY. My temps here are safe enough to ship out of here, but the temps on the otherside are still very cold (30s during the day and 20s at night). I understand his wanting the animals, however I feel that the risk on his end outweighs the rewards . Based on our conversations (text) he seems concerned and wants them shipped asap. He asked for extra heat packs but that could be bad especially if they are in warmer temps here (60s) for too long. I dont want to risk it but he seems to think it will be ok. I have expressed to him that if I ship and they get hung up or delayed I cannot be responsible for what might happen especially at the temps in his area. Any advise is welcomed. I have offered to care for them here as long as it takes until its safer on his side. I know once they leave my hands I cannot do anything about the conditions they might meet in transit, but as a responsible herp keeper and shipper what should I do?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Focal
I have nothing to offer other than reading somewhere recently that overnight shipment may take two days to Alaska. If anything, I would use a 72 hour heat pack over the regular packs.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman
Ship when you are confident and comfortable. If the buyer isn't willing to wait offer a refund and move on. IMHO

Old 04-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Santamarina View Post
He paid through PayPal and is aware that if I ship to any other location other then the verified location on his PayPal account that PayPal will not guarantee his package.
Based on what I've seen from others trying to file PayPal claims over animal transactions, it appears that they've really dug in their heels and are actively sticking to their lack of buyer protection for animal sales. Even if you shipped to his verified address, it definitely appears that PayPal would offer him no help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Santamarina View Post
I have expressed to him that if I ship and they get hung up or delayed I cannot be responsible for what might happen especially at the temps in his area.
I once found myself in a similar situation. Someone wanted me to ship a large anaconda to Alaska. I also stipulated that, due to the distance and weather differences, I wouldn't even consider shipping unless he agreed to waive the LAG. The prospective buyer agreed to it. Ended up being a moot point, since he disappeared when it came time to actually pay; but it sounds like you're going about it in a reasonable way.

You gotta do what feels right to you. As Dennis said, if you can't come to an agreement, and don't want to risk shipping under circumstances that put the snake at extreme risk, simply provide a refund and move on. It sucks to lose a sale, but if you calmly explain your rationale and let it be known that you're looking out for everyone's best interests- including his and the snake's -he may be willing to give you another try when the weather is better and you have something else he wants. Just don't hold his money hostage if you can't agree on when to ship.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Ship when you are confident and comfortable. If the buyer isn't willing to wait offer a refund and move on. IMHO
This here. Better to be safe than sorry. If you're hesitant about it at all, I'd wait.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
C.Santamarina
The conversation about a full refund of his money has not come up between us, he seems to really want the snakes. I would gladly return his money if that's what he wanted though. For me it's not about the loss of the sale. I just want the snakes to arrive safely and unharmed. If I can provide him with something he really wants then it works out for everyone. My biggest concern is the safety of the animal and keeping the person happy. I personally paid in full for a snake months ago and am still waiting for it due to the weather. I don't need to have it here so badly that I cannot wait until its safe to ship. I would rather wait for a quality animal to be shipped then pass on a great animal and deal just because of the weather. That's just me though. I think he is just worried he is afraid that I am playing games and trying to deceive him, which I personally can say I have never done and would never do to someone. I've been down that road before and I didn't like it when it happened to me. I even asked if there was a certain picture I can take of the animals so that I can reassure him they are still here and doing well. I just want him to be comfortable with the transaction and ease his mind that I'm not trying to get one over on him. There are a lot of people that are dishonest and I am not that guy. I've been doing this a while and want people to be 100% satisfied with what their getting and how it all takes place. In 30 years of being in this hobby I've never lost an animal due to shipping because I've always practiced safe shipping and proper packaging technique. I do understand his concerns though.

Chris

Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
robyn@Pro Exotics
Folks in Alaska know that they are living under special circumstance. It isn't a surprise to them that it is extra cold, for extra long.

Summer is coming, along with warmer weather.

First, as mentioned, check and make sure that his zip code offers overnight delivery. Anchorage should be fine, but double check. Many parts of Alaska are 2 day or longer delivery, regardless of the overnight booking.

Second, wait until the weather is acceptable for live reptile shipping period. If that is next week, great. If it isn't until mid-June, then so be it. Default to the health and welfare of the animals.

Again, living in Alaska, the customer should be familiar with the limitations.

Money wise, I would offer an immediate refund, good for a two day consideration. If the customer doesn't want to wait for a window of appropriate weather, go ahead and refund now. Give them two days to consider that option.

If they pass and say "let's wait for better weather" then any payment would be treated like a non-refundable deposit, and you would keep any monies paid if they change their mind down the road.

You don't want to take payment, mark the animal sold, then get told in mid-June, "Oh, I changed my mind, I want a refund." That is poor form on behalf of the buyer, so consider covering yourself for that circumstance.

At ShipYourReptiles we book Alaska shipments regularly, but by phone instead of through the site. This allows Andy@SYR to check for delivery guarantee times and also help evaluate weather. Feel free to contact Andy@ShipYourReptiles.com for help in arranging this shipment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!