Beware your UTH!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #1
WizardLizards
Exclamation Beware your UTH!!!

After putting it off for far too long I purchased a temp gun from the NARBC show. Tonite I pulled it out and tested all my heat sources, and the UTH in my male Tangs tank registered 134 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had put a thermometer in the tank when I set it up and the temp was around 95 degrees. All of my other UTH's, and my rack temps were perfect. The thought of my gecko getting burned, or worse yet, my house burning down have all run through my head.
So please, keep an eye on your UTH's, heat tape, whatever. And if you don't have a temp gun, you might want to think about picking one up. I got mine for $25, and it was definately worth it!

Tony

Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 AM   #2
gurnham4
where did you get your gun?

Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 AM   #3
Brent Strande
www.tempgun.com is a pretty great place!

Old 11-17-2004, 06:00 AM   #4
WizardLizards
Proexotics was at the show, and their website is tempgun.com.

Tony

Old 11-17-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
temp gun

I bought a RayTek Temperature gun several years ago, and it is the most valuable tool I have for my gecko set-ups! I monitor not only the floor temps of my breeder tanks and the back of the racks, but the temperature of the geckos themselves! LOL! Not to mention I can take the temperature of an egg at each corner of the incubators to make sure the heat is accurate and distrubuted evenly. Just aim and shoot!

Old 11-17-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
gurnham4
I've seen that site before, and I've been wanting one of these for a long time. I just finished car payments *yay I own my car... watch it break down next week* so once I get everything settled I am buying one.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
chondrokeeper
just for the sake of argument, 134°F isn't that hot of a basking temp for a desert dwelling herp. If I remember Jeff Lemm telling me right, while he was working at Australia Zoo (on leave from San Diego Zoo) he found ackies out basking where the surface temps were at or above 200°F!!! When I use to keep ackies and beardies they had a basking spot ambient temp of 135-150°F and I'm sure the rock surface was probably even hotter. Some of the rocks I find TX banded geckos under out here are probably pushing over 130°F on the surface and ~100°F underneath. The worry for burns is when there isn't a properly setup cage, where the cage is cold to begin with and the heating area is setup on the cool end instead of under a basking end (FWI, all my leos that I have setup naturally have a UTH under their basking caves).

Chris

Old 11-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
E2MacPets
agreed, there is no more natural way to replicate the heat experienced by a nocturnal species than using a UTH

The earth radiates heat ouward at night. You can't replicate this in a cage with a heatbulb and shallow sand and rocks.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
chondrokeeper
LMAO....exactly Steve. Silly us!

Old 11-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #10
WizardLizards
I don't have a problem with UTH. in fact I think it is indeed the best way to heat an enclosure. ( I also like heat tape) I was just concerned about burning the leo, and of course a fire. He has plenty of areas to get away from the heat, in fact I noticed he hadn't been in his warm hide in quite a while. Now I guess I know why.

Tony

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!