Tantilla ssp. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-28-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
coyote
Question Tantilla ssp.

Does anyone keep Tantillas, blackheaded/black crowned snakes?
I am intrigued with their natural history and am wondering if anyone keeps them in captivity.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:50 AM   #2
aliceinwl
I have a friend who tried to keep one of the California species. The snake refused to eat anything except centipedes and it only would eat a certain species of centipede. He was never able to get it to feed on the local centipedes and the snake died.

-Alice

Old 10-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
coyote
Oh. That's too bad. Thanks for sharing though.

This is one reasons that I started this thread. In the hope of getting information like this. It just might be that they have such exacting requirements that they are unsuitable captives. After all, humans don't have to make everything into a pet.

I have read that they are rear fanged and do have a venom. Although it is only dangerous to the small animals that make up their prey.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #4
aliceinwl
If you have them locally, may want to still consider giving them a go. Maybe your species won't be as finicky in terms of prey and you would have access to local prey species to experiment with. I don't know what the laws are in your area, but if it's legal you could release it if refuses food.

-Alice

Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwl
If you have them locally, may want to still consider giving them a go. Maybe your species won't be as finicky in terms of prey and you would have access to local prey species to experiment with. I don't know what the laws are in your area, but if it's legal you could release it if refuses food.

-Alice
This would be a great way to give it a try. But it won't work for me. We don't have any in Montana. As a matter of fact, the list of native Montana reptiles is pretty short.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!