How do people ship so cheaply? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-28-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
Palex134
How do people ship so cheaply?

In many ads, people say shipping is only 15-30. How is it so cheap? What companys do they use?

Old 11-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
The Reptile House
I would think thay are taking it off the price of the reptile and eating the cost some way. There are no overnight companies that ship for that low as far as I know UNLESS you are a huge distributer that ships out 100's of boxes a week- they have low rates like that even some lower.

Shanell The Reptile House

Old 11-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
SPJ
Cheapest price I have ever been billed for overnight delivery to a customer was $32. Most of the time the packages I ship run between $35 and $40.
Unless they roll some of the shipping cost into the price of the animal, it's hard to believe the cost could be that low unless they are shipping USPS and not using an overnight carrier.

Old 11-28-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
Palex134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Cheapest price I have ever been billed for overnight delivery to a customer was $32. Most of the time the packages I ship run between $35 and $40.
what company do you ship with?

Old 11-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #5
MatthewK
UPS runs me $35 anywhere basicly.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
SPJ
I use DHL.
If I charge $35, that covers about 95% of my shipments. A few larger, heavier packages have run about $37 and $40.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Palex134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
I use DHL.
If I charge $35, that covers about 95% of my shipments. A few larger, heavier packages have run about $37 and $40.

Is it legal and reliable to ship harmless snakes using DHL or UPS?

Old 11-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
SPJ
Not sure about UPS but I have a "reptile shipping account" with DHL. I was approved when they used to be Airborne but now that DHL took them over, they still pick up and deliver just as before. I mark the packages with what's in them and have never had a problem with the "new" company (just some odd looks from the drivers when I hand them the boxes LOL).

Old 11-28-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
The Reptile House
Unless you have a contract with a certain company it is illegal to ship snakes with any of them. I have a contract with FedEx and mark all my boxes accordingly with what is inside and all get there just fine.

Doesent DHL use the postal company or is that just for there ground shipments. I had ordered something from a company not reptile related though and it was suposed to come to my door and get a signature but the post office just put it in my mail box?

Shanell

Old 11-28-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
SPJ
It might just for ground shipments.
I always have DHL pull up when they pickup or deliver something. I have never had USPS involved with anything from DHL but then again all of my stuff is going overnight air.
Set up an account with them directly. Mine took about a week to get approved when Airborne was in control. One thing I have noticed is that the rates have gone up since DHL took over.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!