Conflict of interest? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

View Poll Results: Should we participate of threads when there's a vested interest?
No, they should not participate (vested interests in the outcome) 0 0%
Yes, they have every right to participate regardless of the similarities in the items they sell. 9 50.00%
It would have to be considered in a casa be case basis. 10 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
Conflict of interest?

Should we consider "conflict of interest" when someone's actions are being questioned in a thread in the BOI by a person/company that deals in similar if not the same items? That questions has been popping in my head every now and then and I remember threads when people have been criticized when they post negatively about an individual/company because they are apparently in the same line of business.

Best regards

Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
I guess I would have to say on a case by case basis. If the individual has something of substance to contribute (is this to vague?), has dealt with the other individual/company in any way or form or...

Best regards.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
The third option should read "case by case"! Sorry about that.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman
I think it wise that if you are in direct competition with a target of a BOI thread you should scrutinize your own posts on the particular topic. Such as cage manufactures, racks and feeders. Common sense should prevail.

Since the BOI is peer based, It can be hard differentiate at times. I would think a case by case approach has merit. If a target of a thread sells B.P’s, well, then it is going to be a little harder to judge if someone is targeting a subject because of competition or not. Those who target others based on that criteria usually gives themselves away in time.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Lucille
Those in the same biz may actually have insights when it comes to evaluations of business practices. I think looking at the content is important, and as you say, if the person has doing the questioning has something of substance to say, the post should be judged on its own merits.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Those in the same biz may actually have insights when it comes to evaluations of business practices. I think looking at the content is important, and as you say, if the person has doing the questioning has something of substance to say, the post should be judged on its own merits.

So you think your competition, well not yours, your not in business. But for the ones that are, you are saying the ones that have the same products should judge our prices and actions?

Thats funny!!

I could just see the conflicts starting over your way of thinking on this.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
Dennis,

Maybe enclosures and ball pythons are among the best examples.

We have seen posters in the past that have everything to gain by having the competition slowly disappear. And they have shown it with attacks on individuals or companies with whom they have never dealt before. Shouldn't that be considered borderline unethical or morally reprehensible?

It can certainly be understandable if the company that's questioning the other one has suffered first hand a bad experience. But if they have never dealt with them should they join the group and do their best to put the nail in the coffin for good?

As of this post there are only 4 votes, 3 agree that it should be done on a case by case basis. In reality I have my doubts even with that option (which I voted for). How do we determine in a "case by case" if company "A" has the right to call names or question the quality of company "B". How do we know if they don't have ulterior motives? They have never dealt with them but they compete in a currently weak market for the same clients. When vehemently making a case against company "B", aren't they breaking a code of ethics? Yes, one can argue that by not speaking-up they may be also doing some harm to the community because company "B" may have already been pr oven unethical. But the problem is that they are directly benefiting (through freeing clientele) from fueling the fire against the second company. Once everything is set and done I'm not so sure if the first company is not thinking: ..."Another one bites the dust"... (with music by Queen)

Old 01-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
So you think your competition, well not yours, your not in business. But for the ones that are, you are saying the ones that have the same products should judge our prices and actions?

Thats funny!!

I could just see the conflicts starting over your way of thinking on this.
Bobby, you are so right. You would never say anything judgmental about other tegu producers

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
WebSlave
It depends. If someone is forthright about their competitive status, then not only would such information weigh in their favor for determining their qualifications to make their statements, but it would also be a criteria to be used by non-involved readers in making their own decisions about all the sides of an argument being presented. The situation at hand may be a case of ONLY persons having direct experience with the species or product being discussed having enough knowledge of the issues in order to have an informed opinion about them.

On the other hand, someone who might be a direct competitor and attempting to withhold or obscure this information from the public in such a discussion, should likely be viewed in a less than favorable light. Particularly if it is done via falsely registered IDs in order to attack the topic person or business in the discussion. This has happened in the past, and although sometimes difficult to determine, it sometimes DOES come to light through some digging.

Quite frankly, with the number of people IN the business or quite likely desiring to do so in the future, I think it would be difficult to hold a serious discussion where this conflict of interest would NOT come into play. The most knowledgeable people about any given topic in this business are quite likely that knowledgeable for a very good self incentive based reason. Even someone professing to NOT be in the business yet sells, trades, or otherwise uses the products created from their expertise to their advantage, are in some way competing with other people or businesses offering the same or similar merchandise, no matter what the scale involved.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
shrap
The vast majority of people are seeking the truth or giving honest opinions. I think it is very obvious, in the vast majority of cases, when people create or participate in a thread with ulterior motives. Or simply to place an attack on someone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!