adding pictures to classified ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
NJRae
adding pictures to classified ads

Hey guys--

I've got some snakes I'm trying to list for sale and am having trouble adding pictures. I've searched through the threads here and found that you can add the pictures in many different ways but that if you want the thumbnail to show up on the classifieds page that you need to use the "manage attachments" button.

So I'm good with all that but I'd really prefer to have the option of adding text below and between pics...which you can't do if you use the "manage attachments" button. I've looked through a bunch of ads and have seen people write below and between pictures so I know it's possible...I just don't know how to do it.

I did see that some people add the pictures to the body of the message one way (through photobucket or the member gallery or whatever) and then also attach an image so that a thumbnail will show up. How to do that is obvious however if I go that route I'd love to make that attached image as small as possible so that it appears as a thumbnail within the ad as well as on the main page. Any suggestions?

Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRae View Post
So I'm good with all that but I'd really prefer to have the option of adding text below and between pics...which you can't do if you use the "manage attachments" button. I've looked through a bunch of ads and have seen people write below and between pictures so I know it's possible...I just don't know how to do it.
Post the IMG code from photobucket (or wherever), which looks like this:
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hhmoore/001-6.jpg[/IMG]
That will make the image appear, and allow you to continue posting afterwards...like this (the image from the above code, entered normally)

If you have already attached the image, you can simply copy the URL of the image, and do the same thing
[IMG]http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=220793&stc=1&d=1297850 338[/IMG]
which, entered normally, looks like this

Quote:
I did see that some people add the pictures to the body of the message one way (through photobucket or the member gallery or whatever) and then also attach an image so that a thumbnail will show up. How to do that is obvious however if I go that route I'd love to make that attached image as small as possible so that it appears as a thumbnail within the ad as well as on the main page. Any suggestions?
Regarding this - I'm not sure...you could attach a thumbnail sized photo; but I don't know that doing so would work well for the thumbnail in the classifieds. Just out of curiosity, why would you want to have a thumbnail sized photo at the end of your ad?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
NJRae
Thanks for the response! It's not that I necessarily want a thumbnail sized photo at the end of my ad, it's that I'd like to be able to post the 2-3 pictures of the snake and then have text below them but still have a thumbnail appear on the main classifieds page. So in otherwords I want to be able to have the thumbnail appear on the main page but not have the picture be the main thing at the end of the ad. So rather than post the same large photo twice I would post the 2-3 pictures, get in the text at the end and then attach one of those pictures again so that it will appear as a thumbnail. I figured if I have to attach it perhaps I can attach it and have it show up as a thumbnail within the thread so that there isn't a huge picture at the end.

Does that make any sense? Here... I'm not sure if this is allowed or not...but here is an example of what I'd like to be able to do:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=353035

Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
hhmoore
I already made the suggestion of simply attaching a smaller pic, which is what they did in that ad.
I'm still not understanding your logic, I guess (Not necessarily due to a fault in the logic, or your explanation, btw). You have your reasons for not wanting a full size image after your final text; and if having a small picture there works for you, there's no reason not to do that.

If your question is how to make the images smaller, I adjust the size of my posted images using Paint.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRae View Post
So in otherwords I want to be able to have the thumbnail appear on the main page but not have the picture be the main thing at the end of the ad.
the photo added through manage attachments which is used as the thumbnail will always appear at the bottom of the ad. (Personally, it doesn't bother me to see the same photo twice in a listing because of that.)

Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
NJRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
the photo added through manage attachments which is used as the thumbnail will always appear at the bottom of the ad. (Personally, it doesn't bother me to see the same photo twice in a listing because of that.)
It doesn't bother you? I think that's what I was looking for. It just seems annoying to see it twice so I figured if you have to see it twice that at least it could be small the second time, as it was in the ad I posted...I just don't have the faintest idea how to make it small like that. But ok, maybe I just won't worry about having that photo twice then. I just wanted to be able to post the guarantee details at the end of the ad, after the pictures so that people don't have to sift through all of it to get to the pictures. I'd rather post the sale info, show the pictures and then post the details afterward.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
as Harald mentioned re-sizing, you could make a duplicate image and resize it so it's smaller and then use that one as the attachment and post the full size one in the ad. More work but I think that would give you what you are looking for.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
NJRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I already made the suggestion of simply attaching a smaller pic, which is what they did in that ad.
I'm still not understanding your logic, I guess (Not necessarily due to a fault in the logic, or your explanation, btw). You have your reasons for not wanting a full size image after your final text; and if having a small picture there works for you, there's no reason not to do that.

If your question is how to make the images smaller, I adjust the size of my posted images using Paint.
Sorry, I think I just didn't explain myself well. What I'm looking to do is give the information about the snake listed, show the pictures and then add the details to the guarantees after the fact so that people don't have to sift through all of it to get to the pictures. I just find that it works better that way.

I'd love to be able to make that attached picture a smaller one as they did in that ad. You suggested that I make it smaller using "paint"...which I've never used before but am now going to go play with to see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
NJRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I made it smaller in Paint, saved it, used the "manage attachments" link to upload it and it did show up as a small sized attachment...but it didn't show up as a thumbnail on the main page.

I have a feeling I'm making something that should be fairly simply into something so much more difficult than it needs to be...but now it's some sort of challenge that I'm determined to figure out. Any idea why it wouldn't have shown up on the main page?

Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
took a look at your ad, it looks like you have it set up correctly. Try saving the small image as a .jpg and try re-posting. I've had issues before with .png attachments, I don't know for sure if that is what the problem is, but give it a try?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!