Want advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
jpena
Question Want advice

I have a corn snake.Now I want to get a ball any advice on them will be appreciated.Oh and I,m new here

Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
hhmoore
What kind of advice do you want? How to take care of it? (hint: research first, ask questions later.) Reasons to get one? Reasons not to?

Old 03-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
jpena
Red face

Well I apologize let me be more specific I have done a lot of research I want to hear from people who have them.Are they docile are they fun snakes to own.I have done the research I know what I need as far as tank heating hides.Just want to know that it will be a snake I feel comfortable with around my 4 year old son obviously only when I'm around.He does great with the corns.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpena
Well I apologize let me be more specific I have done a lot of research I want to hear from people who have them.Are they docile are they fun snakes to own.I have done the research I know what I need as far as tank heating hides.Just want to know that it will be a snake I feel comfortable with around my 4 year old son obviously only when I'm around.He does great with the corns.
I have dealt minimally with ball pythons over many years - frankly, I just never really cared for them...too benign for my taste, I guess. lol. Right now, I have 24 of the little gals (half of which I am keeping for my own projects - who'd of thought that!!!). As a general rule (but remember, rules were made to be broken), balls are very docile. If they are weaned into it, most tolerate handling very well. I say weaned into it because they can sometimes be difficult to get feeding on a regular basis (though with a good CB or CH baby, that should not be a huge problem). If their little worlds get disrupted too much, they may get stressed and go off feed. Just leave them alone for a while, and they usually go back with no problem. If you get one that hasn't been handled alot, just leave it alone for a day or two before/after feeding & gradually increase handling time. They are generally not inclined to bite, but will, rather, ball up when threatened/approached/picked up...this will reduce as they get used to it.
I see no reason to be worried with them around your son - from either direction. They are less fragile (physically) than baby corns, and no more inclined to bite. As long as you are willing to create the environment they need, they make good pets.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
darkbloodwyvern
hee, they tend to need more patience, in my experience, because all the corns i've handled are far less jumpy and shy and to my knowledge eat much better. But so far, most if not all the snakes i've dealt with had pretty nice dispositions. evn the scaredy biters would calm down if you were calm. My own snake is pretty cool now that he is used to me handling him. I prefer the larger sized baby snakes like balls because corns are just so tiny!! my $.02, if you are comfortable with corns, you can learn to deal with balls' quirks.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
jpena
Talking

Thank you, There is a reptile show this weekend I just make pick one up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!