Inquiry Probugs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Lucille
Probugs

I saw a recent ad from a vendor selling dead preserved insects from Probugs:

Probugs:

USDA and FDA approved

Fresh Farm Raised insect used in this product through a patented technology from China. This technology sterilizes these insects by removing pathogens that might be carried in the living body while preserving their high nutrient contents. Eco-Fresh is also preservative free which makes it safe and healthy feed for your beloved pets. The production process is environmental friendly without the usage of any chemicals.

In addition, this product preserves all its nutrition value of the insect without any preservative.

Dubia Roaches, Superworms, Mealworms, BSF

I can't find much info about the Probugs company, and I'm curious about the approvals. I am not an expert in the process although I did find this:
https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary.../ucm047111.htm
Anyone have more info about Probugs? Or how much weight to give the FDA/USDA involvement/approval when one is looking for safe wholesome critter food?

Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
CarolinaClassicDragons
Interesting topic Lucille. Hopefully someone from Probugs Feeds can come on here and comment and add some clarification on how they can claim to "remove pathogens that might be carried in the living body". Looks to me that they are simply using aqueous ozone to sterilize the SURFACE of the feeder insect and then they dry and vacuum seal package. Yes, the FDA and USDA has given ozone GRAS (generally recognized as safe) approval. So part of the process that Probugs is using does have this approval. I took a look at their website and do not see anything regarding the nutritional content of their feeders. I saw a third party certificate of analysis from a company in Malaysia, ALS Life Sciences, that did some microbiogical testing for Probugs and the results are posted here http://www.probugsfeeds.com/certification.html The results are what you would expect to see with insects being dunked in aqueous ozone.
What's of utmost importance is what exactly are these feeders they are processing being fed. That,of course, is ultimately what is going into our critters. The company may want to consider publishing this on their website. Doesn't look like this product is readily available in the US so not sure how much any of this really matters.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:08 AM   #3
LauraB
Quote:
Doesn't look like this product is readily available in the US so not sure how much any of this really matters.
Exactly.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
Magic Merlin
At least 1 vendor in the feeder section offers these for sale......they are ridiculously over priced

Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaClassicDragons View Post
Doesn't look like this product is readily available in the US so not sure how much any of this really matters.
The question for me about safety arose when I saw an ad for Probugs right here on Fauna.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!