Longest Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Rattlesnake
Longest Snake

After many years of reading as much as I can about the giant snakes, the best and most reliable information I have come up with is" Reticulated python at a length of 33'.
Would you please post any information you may have of the longest snake you are aware of and what species it is?
Heaviest may be included also.

Thank You

Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
snakebiteAZ1
Heres some

cool facts!!!

Amazing Reptile Facts

Largest Crocodile..... There are four protected estuarine crocodiles in a wildlife sanctuary in India that measure over 19 feet 8 inches. The largest of the four is 23 feet long!
Smallest Crocodile..... The smallest species of crocodile is the dwarf caiman of South America. Females rarely grow beyond 4 feet and males rarely exceed 5 feet.
The worlds longest snake was a reticulated python that was 32 feet 9 1/2 inches long.
The heaviest snake on record is an Anaconda (Eunectes murinus) that was shot in Brazil in 1960. She was never officially weighed but scientist estimate that her 27 feet 9 inch length and her 44 inch girth must have put her over 500lbs!
The king cobra is the longest venomous snake in the world. The longest specimen ever was kept at the London Zoo and measured 18 feet and 9 inches. Zookeepers killed it in 1939 due to the outbreak of war. They feared it would escape the zoo and pose a threat to the citizens of London. Let me get this straight...relentless Nazi bombing attacks raining down day and night and they're afraid of one snake?
The worlds most venomous snake is PROBABLY the species of sea snake Hydrophis belcheri. It has a myotoxic venom that is 100 times more powerful than any land snake. I'm sure this claim will be disputed by the Herpetologists that visit this page (herpetologists are a highly intelligent as well as a very confrontational group). This Amazing Animal Fact is up for debate.
The snake that is responsible for the most deaths of humans is the saw-scaled or carpet viper. It resides from West Africa to India.
The worlds fastest reptile (measured on land) is the spiny-tailed iguana of Costa Rica. It has been clocked at 21.7 mph!
The worlds largest lizard is the adult male komodo dragon found on the islands of Indonesia. The largest ever recorded was 10 feet 2 inches long and weighed 365 lbs! These lizards can eat animals as large as goats. They cannot chew so they must rip huge chunks of flesh off of their prey and swallow it whole.
The smallest lizard in the world is the rare, tiny gecko of the Virgin Islands. Only 15 specimens have ever been found. They measure 0.70 inches from snout to vent (nose to butt).

Coop's Home Page Amazing Facts Index

Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
AncientDNA
Since this is the rosy, sand, ground boas/pythons forum, what are the records for these species?
I've read anecdotal evidence for the occasional rosy breaking 48", but there is absolutely no proof of this out there.
Currently my largest rosy is a hypo borrego who is ~40" and weights 600+ grams(gravid weight). I should weigh her again just to be sure tho.
I have a Limburg albino that is gaining on her fast.
-JC

Old 07-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Rattlesnake
Come on people, I know some of you have some fact that I am not familiar with. Please post them?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!