Bad Guy Snakes at Sunset (Miami) - Page 14 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #131
franco123
ok i dont wana make a big deal but here's my story, i was on KS and saw their ad of the "High Colored Black Roughneck Juvie- $175 " he agred to do 175 shipped wich it was a good price i guess. in the pictures the monitor looks very healthy and beautiful. when i got him he has like 3 bumps on his back on different sides, he has a bunch of broken toes, and he sneezes a lot and opens his mouth to brethe some times( he probably has respiratory infection) i was pissed AF when i saw him like that, i fell really bad for him. i still have him , and i jsut hope he deosnt die. i will NEVER buy from them again.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #132
turtlepimp
Mike, what did you originally do to this Brittany person to piss her off so much? Clearly her concern was not the Sorong or she would have called FWS, not just posted here.

Anyone who has ever been to SAS please raise your hand. IMHO it is one of the best kept shops I have been into. I would put it in the same class as Ben Siegels, and that is a pretty nice shop. Well kept, well run, nice animals.

But this seems to be a vendetta topic of sorts. Most if not all of BOI is vendor to vendor transactions, but rolling up on a family owned reptile shop, grabbing a pic of mites on a GTP and trashing the families name and livelyhood? That is messed up.

I have known Mike since he was 18 years old and one thing I know is he cares for his animals. And other peoples animals. Mike, how many times in the last month has someone walked in with sick animal looking for treatment advice? And you do what you can.

So Mike, how do you feel about being a pet shop owner? All you thought it would be? More? Thought so.

Personally Mike, I would have withheld response simply because this board has little relavance to what you are trying to do. You sold nothing, you certainly weren't trying to get rich off a mited out GTP, and your front door is still open.

Mike has always been and will most likely be a good guy to the industry. He sells good animals, gives up front advice, and has lived this stuff since he could talk.

Andrew Sury,
Turtle Breeder
Auto Shop owner
Clair Voyant
Taller than you

Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #133
Frank331
I don't mean to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just felt that I had to share my experience.

I've been going to Snakes at Sunset since I was a little kid, back in its original location with the old owners. The place wasn't exactly well kept (crickets roaming everywhere, the smell was pretty bad, etc.) and the staff wasn't the most helpful in the world.
Ever since Mike has taken over, the place has made a real turn around. Its better kept and I've never had a problem with him or his dad.
He has always been helpful with questions and is always willing to work out a deal. Just the other day I was there inquiring about another Chameleon and he offered to sell me a very healthy looking Ambilobe juvie for 50 bucks off his sale price, which was already low compared to some big name breeders.
As far as the snake with mites, it happens to the best of them, especially when you are a big importer like mike. If I remember the layout of the old store correctly, that snake would have been in the room off to the right which is usually barren, with no animals and occasionally blocked off. If you've ever been to the old store, you would know there isn't a heck of a lot of room for a quarantine room without risking the other animals.
Bad experiences are bound to happen, theres no reason to start a tirade and try and defame someone else's business and livelihood.
Oh and since no transaction took place between OP and snakes, theres no real justification for a bad guy post to begin with.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #134
MARY ANN
MARY ANN VITELLA

SNAKES AT SUNSET: MY EXPERIENCE WAS VERY GOOD. HEALTHY ANIMAL.
SHIPPED ON TIME , PACKED WELL AND EACH QUESTION ANSWERED HONESTLY.
MIKE AND REGGIE OF SNAKES AT SUNSET
WERE POLITE AND PROS.
MY TORTOISE WAS EXCEPTIONAL.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #135
Drcrossfire
I purchased a Nosy Faly that turned out to be a Nosy Be.

Payed a premium for a faly-- mike from snakes@sunset denied it being anything buy Faly

Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #136
mimikos1
I did a $3750.00 deal with Mike, gave a deposit and shortly after ended up in the hospital after the deposit. Mike held my animals for a month till I was able to get the setup ready and receive them. These animals didn't even belong to him. Mike was great about the situation, and when the animals arrived, They were off the charts!!
He is very busy taking care of his animals, sometimes hard to get, But WILL do business with them in the future.

-- Custom Reptile
USDA and CBW facility

Old 03-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #137
Chameleon Cartel
Recently purchases a gorgeous Nosy Be and a leopard gecko from Mike. I went to the Repticon in West Palm with my girlfriend and her son. We went for the sole purpose of buying any Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. I had spent the entire night before looking up the vendors that would be at the show to see which ones sold chameleons and calling them to see whether they were bringing any. When I called Snakes at Sunset before the show they said they weren't bringing any chameleons but had some in the shop, which is over an hour drive south from my house. When we got to the show we didn't find any ambilobes other than one from a reptile shop by my house, I see how they house their chams and would NEVER buy one from them. I spoke with Mike or awhile and he was extremely easy to talk to and answered ALL my questions I had. He told me that he was sold pubs Ambilobes but had some really nice Male Nosy Bes in stock. At no time was he rude, he didn't hesitate to answer any questions that my girlfriend or I asked. While we were talking my girlfriends 5 year old son somehow convinced us that he needed a leopard gecko. Mikes prices were better and his selection was larger than any other vendor at the show, so we ended up buying a female snow leopard gecko for him. Super easy to do business with and both he and his girlfriend were very friendly and helpful, even with me coming back 3-4 more times asking questions. After the show, we drove immediately from West Palm to his shop which was about 1.5 hours from the show. We bought our amazing little guy and he's home eating and drinking like crazy!!! For such a young little dude his colors are AMAZING!!! We are now planning on buying an unrelated female from him in the near future. I read this entire thread BEFORE going to the show. My girlfriend and I spent about twenty minutes wandering the store to make sure nothing looked sick. ALL of the animals were in appropriately sized, clean cages. The staff, a couple younger teenagers were very friendly and helpful. I've walked into a bunch of reptile stores that smelled like straight ass. This place was very neat, clean and free of excessive odor. It's a reptile shop so I wasn't expecting it to smell amazing. I would not hesitate to do business with Mike again for a second!!! Even with the long drive and multiple reptile stores that are WAY closer, Snakes at Sunset is where we will buy our chameleons in the future. I see a mixed batch of reviews, but I couldn't have asked for a better experience!!!

Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #138
PythonMan89
I don't run a pet store either, but I'd imagine putting a mite-infested snake on display in the store shows your customers that you think it's okay to put a mite-infested reptile up for sale, which gives your store, your employees, and you, as the owner of the store, a bad image in the public eye. I'd highly suggest not even thinking about putting the snake on display on the main floor of the store, and instead keeping it in some sort of back room, away from the other reptiles, until you're absolutely sure the mites are completely, 100% dead and gone, and there is absolutely no risk of them migrating to your other cages/enclosures/displays. I've dealt with mites firsthand. They're an absolute nightmare to get rid of. But using Provent A Mite definitely helps when used properly, and hell, the directions are *right on the can*. It doesn't get much easier/self-explanatory than that.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #139
PythonMan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonMan89 View Post
I don't run a pet store either, but I'd imagine putting a mite-infested snake on display in the store shows your customers that you think it's okay to put a mite-infested reptile up for sale, which gives your store, your employees, and you, as the owner of the store, a bad image in the public eye. I'd highly suggest not even thinking about putting the snake on display on the main floor of the store, and instead keeping it in some sort of back room, away from the other reptiles, until you're absolutely sure the mites are completely, 100% dead and gone, and there is absolutely no risk of them migrating to your other cages/enclosures/displays. I've dealt with mites firsthand. They're an absolute nightmare to get rid of. But using Provent A Mite definitely helps when used properly, and hell, the directions are *right on the can*. It doesn't get much easier/self-explanatory than that.
This is merely my opinion. I apologize if you take offense, but that isn't my intention. My intent is to ensure the health of your product so others don't feel the need to report your shop to the Board of Inquiry (seeing as I've never set foot in your store, I don't know what it looks like, and so I cannot and will not judge it; however, some are not so unbiased.)

Old 06-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #140
smwboxer
Wow, the original post was over FOUR YEARS ago!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!