Is this a male Mellers chameleon ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
jsshark1
Is this a male Mellers chameleon ?

Hi every one , I recently got two Melles Chameions . the place I got them from tells me the only way to sex them 100% is X-rays but will do his best to give me a male and female, one is around 18 inches and the other one is around 20 inches and I am trying to see if I can sex them, I read it is possible to tell if you can catch them taking a poop,

this one is the smaller of the two pooping, is the two black circle on the sides the hemipenes ? is this one a male ?

Name:  small-male3.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  137.9 KB
Name:  small-male2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  52.1 KB
Name:  small-male1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  93.1 KB
is it a Male?

I also wanted to ask , I read on one site that they can change sex , any thoughts on this ?

thanks for reading

Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
LauraB
Sorry, but there really is no way to determine gender based on a dump.

The most reliable way to determine gender is through ultrasound, behind the cloaca or vent, endoscopy or x-rays.

Behavior in the presence of another Meller's can also help distinguish gender. I don't see babies in your pics, so I hope you are not caging your two together. Or even real close to one another if in separate enclosures.

You may be lucky enough to catch some hemipenal bulge when a male basks or hunts or drinks. Also look for hemipenal plugs on perches, branches. Yet another indication of male.

No, I do not believe; despite what I've seen written; they "change sex".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!