My Bullsnake Bit Me!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
bullsnakes_rule
My Bullsnake Bit Me!!!

Hello, all.

It finally happened. Draco bit me! He had "used the bathroom" in his tank. This meant that I had to take everything out of the tank to clean it. Well, Draco was in his hide cave and he was spooked anyway because of my actions in approaching the tank and taking off the lid in the first place (No matter how slow and gentle I am around Draco, EVERYTHING still scares him at this point!). So... when I placed my hand on his hide cave and put my fingers on the inside edge to lift it out of the tank, WHAM!, Draco made a quick strike, sunk his sharp teeth into the knuckle of my right pointer finger, and immediately let go. It was enough to draw a little blood. I wasn't expecting him to give me a full strike so I was startled as a result! This was his way of letting me know that he was frightened and he did NOT want to be messed with! I DO realize that snakes of the genus Pituophis are well-known for their "attitude". However, being bitten is no fun at all! I guess this goes with the territory in owning a bullsnake. Oh, well... It seems like that I still have a lot of work to do with my snake in helping him to become a, hopefully, gentle adult. This means lots of handling sessions and, also, enduring more bites in the future! I am sure this WON'T be the last time that Draco bites me! Hehehe!!! Well, at least I now know that my bullsnake is NOT prone to bluffing (unlike most bullsnakes). With Draco... it IS the real deal, baby! It scares me to think what it would be like for me if he is still the same way when he reaches adult size. OMG!!! What a scary thought!

Take care,
Terry

Old 05-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnakes_rule
when I placed my hand on his hide cave and put my fingers on the inside edge to lift it out of the tank, WHAM!

He struck at you because he thought it was time to eat!

You must remember that reptiles are not "children" and should be treated accordingly.
No matter how tame "ANY" animal is, it can bite at ANY time.
Treat your snake like a snake - not a child.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
bullsnakes_rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
He struck at you because he thought it was time to eat!

You must remember that reptiles are not "children" and should be treated accordingly.
No matter how tame "ANY" animal is, it can bite at ANY time.
Treat your snake like a snake - not a child.
Hello, Jim.

It is great talking with you again.

Yeah, I have a "bad" tendency of becoming emotionally attached to my pets (despite the fact that I DO know that Draco is a wild animal and not domesticated like a dog). Just like many people who see their pets (such as dogs, cats, hamsters, ferrets, parrots, koi, etc...) as "members" of their family. I am one of many, Jim. I've treated my previous bullsnake the exact same way and I truly believe that he returned my affection to me (He was a joy to have in my life!). I also feel that taking a few bites now and then just goes with the territory of owning ANY wild animal. I am NOT that ignorant! Nonetheless, I really do love my animals. I get a lot of comfort and peace from them when I am able to make a "connection" with them (I am referring to my vertebrate pets, NOT my invertebrate pets). It is hard to explain. I have a bond with them. It helps me tremendously! In fact, I understand my animals a lot better than I understand most people. If this makes me strange, then I am strange.

I can't help it that I am such an emotional, caring person. I'm guilty as charged! LOL!!!

By the way, Draco is a sweetheart when he is handled.

I can't thank you enough for such a WONDERFUL snake. Draco has helped to make my life even better. You are the best, Jim!

Take care,
Terry

Old 05-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnakes_rule
I've treated my previous bullsnake the exact same way and I truly believe that he returned my affection to me
Its probably a good thing you consider it part of your family, that means you will take good care of it. But I also believe that herps are incapable of showing affection. They will however develop a "routine". And its possible that some herps may get "used" to a person as well. JMO

Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
bullsnakes_rule
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
Its probably a good thing you consider it part of your family, that means you will take good care of it. But I also believe that herps are incapable of showing affection. They will however develop a "routine". And its possible that some herps may get "used" to a person as well. JMO
Yes, Draco is DEFINITELY in good hands with me!

Hmmmmmmm... I'm not sure how else to explain the connection or the strong bond which my previous bullsnake & I both shared together (I know in my heart that it was REAL!). "Affection" was the best description which I could come up with regarding what we both shared. I guess there are really no words to accurately describe it.

Thanks for trying to understand me though. Hehehe!!!

Take care,
Terry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!