anyone.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
cutefaces
Red face anyone....

i don't know if i am posting in the right forum, but i guess i will find out soon enough!!...... i hope someone here can answer my question..here goes.... can someone tell me what is the normal routine for an overall first time check-up for a snake? (at the vet) and roughly how much does this cost?.....assuming there will be fecal tests for parasites and what not(right?)... i'm new so bare with me!!!

Old 02-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
sugarkornbizkits
Wink

I think the best way to find this out is to call the vet that you're planning on taking it too and asking. They'll be able to give you a good estimate. Every vet charges differently for exotics. Some are more expensive than others.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
hhmoore
Costs for an office visit can vary greatly within the same city, and "routine" will vary by the individual...add to that the fact that you are in Canada, and . Sorry we couldn't offer a better response, but I agree that the best option is to call the specific office/clinic and ask them what is involved and what it will cost. I would recommend giving the snake the once over yourself, no sense paying them to pull off a tick, lol. What kind of snake is it; how big; WC or CB; do you know the sex, or do you even care; what is it eating (and live, f/k, or f/t); and is there a problem, or is this just a get to know you visit;? I ask these things because it sort of helps to think about what they might try to do...and what you might want to say no to.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
cutefaces
ok, here's my situation and whats going on

ok... i'll give you the run down on what's going on and what i know so far...... she is a three month old western hognose, female, cb, roughly 11inches long, eating f/t pinkies every four-five days, have her on paper towel now, she's been treated for mites using reptile relief, she's "pooping" every other day (two times the same day usually) the consistency seems to be a little on the "loose" side, the urate that accompanies it is pale pale green, the temp on the warm side is 85, on the cool side is 72-75. water dish is on the cool side of course and i do not use heat rocks, its a uth. how am i doing so far? if anyone can give me some advice, tips or any info on why the fecal matter is pale green, or if it is even something to be concearned about that would be very much appreciated....thanks so much(in advance!

Old 02-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
hhmoore
she is 3 months old, or you've had her for 3 months? (only reason I am asking is that November seems like a strange month for a colubrid to hatch). How long have you had her, and how long has she had loose, frequent stool? If there wasn't a problem, I might have passed on the fecal - but it is definitely warranted in this case. The loose, frequent stool could be either due to bacteria or parasites. Do you know if she has been given any medications? Some medications can either upset the stomach, or disrupt the normal flora (allowing other bacteria to flourish). I am not familiar with Reptile Relief, so I cannot say if that could have played a role.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
cutefaces
it's all figured out now... thanks so much, she's very healthy and doing great!!!!

Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 AM   #7
GuinnyOne
I had a mite outbreak in my colubrids. Reptile Relief is a non-pyrethrin formula that can be used directly on the snake. I used the Reptile Relief on 23 snakes with no higher frequency of pooping. I used Provent-A-Mite in the cages.

Anyway, as far as this hognose goes, I would definately be interested in hearing the outcome of a fecal sample....should I ever encounter it in the future.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutefaces
i don't know if i am posting in the right forum, but i guess i will find out soon enough!!...... i hope someone here can answer my question..here goes.... can someone tell me what is the normal routine for an overall first time check-up for a snake? (at the vet) and roughly how much does this cost?.....assuming there will be fecal tests for parasites and what not(right?)... i'm new so bare with me!!!
examination fee ~ $35

blood (cbc / liver panel) ~ $125

fecal (parasite) ~ $40

x ray ~ $50

this is just ball park idea on costs... these are routine tests for an animal you wanted to get a thourough physical on. I'll try and explain:

exam... physical exam that checks for lumps and bumps, checks that all neuralgic functions are intact, and no deformities are present.

blood... Complete Blood Count is a quantitative and qualitative test of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets (clotting).

fecal ~ microscopic examination of fecal matter for parasitic eggs and larva.

x ray ~ this will reveal any abnormalities in the chest and abdomen, such as large masses or large fluid filled sac's... things that would otherwise be undetectable.

now... if you buy a captive bred hatchling from captive bred parents chances are your not going to need a first time physical.

but... it isn't a bad idea to get your animals a yearly physical.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
mrwenninger
Our costs are:
reptile office visit-40 minutes-$60
cbc-42.50
chem-72.50
fecal-17
radiographs-25-85
ultrasound-100-200
Not all reptiles need every test performed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!