RTB Nose Whistling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Carnage99
RTB Nose Whistling

It's been a couple years since I've had boas, and I remember them having a whistling sound from their noses occasionally like if they were releasing their grip etc.

But I just got a new yearling hypo rtb and he seems to be whistling more so than the ones I've previously owned.

I don't think it's a RI, but I'm not 100% sure of the signs other than the breathing.

Temps are kept from 80-88/90ish at the hot spots.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
JCCS
It could be a mild RI, just look into the nostrils to see if there is any mucous bubbling up. If you see this then you need to get him to a vet.

Chris

Old 06-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
I don't know......I never heard any whistling coming from any of my Boas nostrils. Not a natural thing IMO. Usually caused by a little shed retention around the nostril, or the breath coming out a little forcefully from weight on the lung area, or like mentioned, possibly an RI.

FYI whistling alone does not an RI make. Usually with an RI you will hear clicking sounds along with the wheezing. Mucous builds in the mouth, and in more severe cases you'll see the bubbles from the nostrils.

If it was me, I'd check the nostrils first, if not that, I'd raise the temps a few degrees for a couple weeks and watch closer to see if it subsides. If not, I'd see my vet. But that's me.

Good luck
Rick

Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
Carnage99
Thanks guys!

I've owned him for a week now, so have only really handled him the last couple days.

He tends to be pretty hissy in his hide, but once I get him out he is fairly calm. No hissing when out, and has yet to strike, although today he seemed particularly hissy...

I haven't noticed any mucus, now keeping temps 85-90.

Do you think it could be because of food?, he ate a rather large rat, so he's quite full at the moment haha...

Maybe it's because he is quite the squeezer when I am holding him, what I mean is he really grips with his mid-section enough to feel the blood in my hands haha.

Previously my Guyanan was quite wirey, she didn't need the "secure" feeling so she was always out-stretched. My brothers' Col RTB, used to wrap up on your hand like a branch and just sit there for hours... just some examples...

Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
If you've only had him a week, I suggest leaving him alone except to feed/water or clean for the next couple weeks. New environment, new scents.......Basically an alien environment until he adjusts. That's most likely the reason for all the hissing. He's being defensive probably. Let him settle before you start working with him.

Some Boas are just more clingy than others too. I have some that are totally relaxed when I handle them, and some that grip a bit more. I have one big girl that will put your arm to sleep with her grip. I have likened it to different levels of confidence. (just like some people are braver than others.) IMHO it's not a problem, just something that you work with in hopes of bettering it over time.

As for the whistling, or wheezing, I am reluctant to say "yeah, it's the food". I'm not a vet, and haven't seen/heard for myself what you are describing. But I have a hard time picturing it, as large meals have never caused this with my Boas. At least, not that I've ever noticed.

Give him a couple weeks to adjust, and let the warmer temps work on him. If it persists, I'd see a vet. But try to see a HERP vet. I took My big albino to a non herp vet, (not by choice) and I've been fixing that problem for more than 6 months now.

Good luck
Rick

Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Carnage99
Well I had never had a snake shipped to me before, so I pretty much didn't touch him at all other than to clean the cage and feed him the first 5 days, but the last 2 days I held him for around 20-30mins.

The guy I bought him from said that while all his snakes were used to people, that he has a lot of snakes and so doesn't hold all of them and get them used to being held. The guy told me that he was hissy at his place, so I didn't think too much of it honestly.

It wasn't whistling yesterday, so maybe it was just a fluke the earlier days.

The whistling kinda reminds me of dogs, when they lay down and do this "sigh" thing, but it was more like a whistle cause the snake didn't open his mouth obviously...

Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
Carnage99
What I meant to say in that first line was, I'd never had a snake shipped so wasn't sure exactly of what to do or not to do cause of that. The seller said to let him settle for a couple days, and told me what day he thought I should feed him, so I followed everything he said...

I thought he looked blue yesterday, and today he is definitely blue, so maybe that has something to do with it?

No mucus or bubbles or anything.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
If it's caused from a piece of retained shed in the nostril, then a good shed should fix it. A little extra humidity doesn't hurt during the shed cycle.

Good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!