Feeder lizards - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
capoeirajosh
Feeder lizards

I just recently picked up a couple more gray-banded kings. So far they haven't eaten. Just got them this past Sunday. I have had a little experience with getting these guys to eat. Normally, I would just go catch some fence lizards and use those to get these guys eating, eventually switching them to mice. Since it is getting cooler out though, I have not been able to find any lizards. Will a green anole work?? Do people even sell feeder lizards? Any other tips on getting these guys eating would be greatly appreciated. So far, I have tried washing a f/t pinkie, braining, and rubbing the pink in gecko guts from a gecko I had stashed in my freezer.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
capoeirajosh
These are babies, by the way.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
WJS Herps
Hi Josh -

I have tried everything on baby GBs, running the gamut from braining pinks to just about any scenting you can imagine.

Scenting a washed pinky with a partially thawed fence lizard has yielded the best results for me (rubbing it on the scales and in the gut). I've had some success scenting with brown anoles as well and have caught baby anoles when I was desperate, which yielded mixed results. Might as well since we're buried in them down here.

Oddly, someone suggested putting hatchlings in deli cups and taking them for a ride in the car or setting them on a running washer or dryer. That actually worked as well on some occasions.

The final desperate act is assist feeding pieces of rat or mice tails and trying to keep some weight on them while you keep trying everything else. One technique I have not tried (but have heard good things about) may work if they still have good weight on them. Try cooling them for a few weeks then warm them again - I've heard this can stimulate the feeding response.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I don't know specifically about kingsnakes, but many reptile-eaters will also respond well to birds - either day old chicks (or chick legs) or scenting with chicken skin - not a certainty but might be worth a go if no lizards are to be found.

Sorry, just saw the OP was back in October - so what did work for you?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
GHC Exotics
There are actually a few places that sell feeder anoles...
If you can find greens they will work just as well also.
I know I purchased a clutch of GB once, and had some difficulty getting feeding, and scented them with tuna...
I also have a friend that deals with trouble eaters fairly regularly. When he has some that are extremely difficult, this is what he has done with great success
Wet down a small amount of ferret food. and use a catheter to shoot a small amount into its stomach, to get some good protein into its system so they don't starve.
Doing this about twice actually has gotten several going.
Perhaps this could help in the future if it just comes down to it.
Good luck

Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Phil Bradley
Incredibly enough canned tuna or salmon juice (water not oil based) works on a wide variety of species that never encounter fish as prey. I'm not sure why the scent is so attractive but if something works I don't tend to ask too many questions

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!