Feeding opinions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
Baddog1779
Feeding opinions

Hi everyone,

New user here, first topic, glad there's a group here to talk to.

I recently purchased my first Honduran milk snake at a reptile show. He's not a year yet and just recently went through a shed about a week ago.

He's a very timid eater and it's been 2 weeks since his last feed on a pair of FT pinkies, with a normal bowel movement. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this? How did you handle it? I'm trying to get him familiar with handling but have stopped handling in hopes of him eating.

I'm new to the small snake scene, I had a Columbian red tail boa who readily accepted anything as a meal so this is just strange to me.

Name:  IMG_1149.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  161.3 KB

Old 05-11-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
bcr229
I would keep handling to a minimum until he's settled in and eating well. He's not going to grow up into a huge snake where you'll want to handle him to work past his defensiveness while he's a baby, so just let him be for a few weeks until he settles and feeds regularly.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Baddog1779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I would keep handling to a minimum until he's settled in and eating well. He's not going to grow up into a huge snake where you'll want to handle him to work past his defensiveness while he's a baby, so just let him be for a few weeks until he settles and feeds regularly.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't handled him since he went blue for shed. Most of the articles I'm reading are saying milk snakes readily take food. After two weeks and shedding I figured he would be starving. He will just be a waiting game I suppose.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Herpin Man
Little milk snakes, even captive bred specimens, can be irregular feeders. My advice is to continue offering f/t mice. Try leaving them in overnight; some milks are shy and prefer to eat at night. As time goes on, it should eat more aggressively and reliably.
I agree with bcr229 about handling. There is no benefit to young milk snakes in handling them- they are nervous when they are young, and handling only stresses them further.
Patience.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Buddaz
I'm no expert but I have 3 Honduran Milksnakes as well and my Snow would probably not eat if I didn't use a feeding tub. I use a small container about 8 inches in diameter and place it in his viv, then I place him into the container, lastly I put a pinkie in there. I keep the container open so he can freely leave after feeding and I can pull the container out without disturbing him.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #6
Baddog1779
Sorry I never wrapped this up, he's doing great. I started feeding using tongs and he's been happily eating f/t fuzzies since June. Thank you all for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!