Question about Rosy burrowing? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
amandanp
Question Question about Rosy burrowing?

I just got my first rosy boa yesterday, and initially he seemed to like his tank a lot, exploring and using his hide for most of the day. However, in the evening, he burrowed away in the aspen bedding and hasn't come out since, aside from popping his nose out once in a while. It's been almost 24 hours and i'm a bit concerned. Is this normal? The hot side is at 88 degrees and the cool side is around 81. Is this a sign that he is too hot/cold?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Snake-Queen
I don't have any experience with rosy boas, but if they are anything like Kenyans, they hide under their substrate during the day and only come out at night. Which is normal.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
AncientDNA
It's quite common...especially with young rosies. They seem to use that position to ambush their prey.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
FlagonFly
Agreed this is common for rosys... at least mine. I have a mexican rosy that spends a good deal of time in the aspen substrate. I've noticed she stays there totally underneath for at least a day after a satisfying feed. Then as she starts to get hungry she will either start to poke her head out and watch, or if she gets really hungry she will come all the way out and start exploring the viv in full view. From what I've read about rosys they have good appetites compare to some other snake breeds, and when young are best fed every 3-4 days a rodent big enough to fill them but not so big you can noticeably see a bulge after swallowing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!