Bad Guy Steve Markevich/ Serpent's Den - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
1Bob
Steve Markevich/ Serpent's Den

I haven't been on here in a while so don't know if this was discussed. Sorry if this is old news. I have seen Steve's name on here before and I think there were post directly from him. Front Page news today

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,6150019.story

He left venomous and nonvenemous animals alone for 3 months. They were left to die. I do hope he is okay. But if he is ...

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Have you done business with Steve?
If so, please outline the deal and why it was negative.

Your news link is hearsay and I don't believe belongs on the BOI.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Have you done business with Steve?
If so, please outline the deal and why it was negative.

Your news link is hearsay and I don't believe belongs on the BOI.
Huh? A city newspaper is complete hearsay? Wow. While I know newspapers love over dramatize things, but to say a report like this from a valid city newspaper has no place on the BOI is plain ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
Huh? A city newspaper is complete hearsay? Wow. While I know newspapers love over dramatize things, but to say a report like this from a valid city newspaper has no place on the BOI is plain ridiculous.
I didn't use the word "complete" in anything I said, Sammy. However, without proof from the OP about his personal experience in regards to the situation...I guess I don't get why Steve was labeled a "bad guy" if it was just based on a newspaper article (which again, can be nothing but sensationalized half truths)? We'll have to agree to disagree on the matter of it being a valid reason to post a negative BOI thread based on what little information was provided. Perhaps "info" would have been more appropriate rather then stamping a "bad guy" on the thread.

I btw, don't personally know Steve...Never met him in person at shows or anything...I just chat with him from time to time on RG (and oggle his BPs )...He seems like a very knowledgeable nice guy.

Here is an e-mail that he managed to dig out about the situation:

Quote:
Subject: Snakes
To: "Tom Klonis" <tklonis@hhwlaw.com>
Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 2:48 PM

Tom,

Can you help me get my stuff back by writing a letter and or call my landlord and Donna Crum who contacted me using a hotmail address? Attached is a list of everything taken from me.

I will give you a call tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve

------------------

Dear Mr. Markevich,

I met with your previous landlords this morning since I am conducting the investigation regarding your snakes.

I am sure you know who I am in reference to this current situation at hand. Let me tell you where I am in the investigation at this point in time, since you have been reluctant to contact me personally.

I was given the file from the Lehighton Police Dept. regarding a possible cruelty case against your establishment.

I have currently interviewed all parties involved except you due to your obvious avoidance. I need you to contact me within 72 hours to try and resolve the current issues at hand, which are the following.

In Pennsylvania, we have laws regarding the humane treatment of ALL animals, whether mammals or reptiles. The law directly from the Pennsylvania Humane Society Police Officer Handbook states the following:

Subsection 5511c CRUELTY TO ANIMALS

Amended in December 1986, the following are prohibited:
1) Cruelly ill-treating, overloading, beating or abusing ANY animal
2) Neglecting any animal under the offender's care(whether he owns the animal or not)
3) ABANDONING ANY ANIMAL
4) DEPRIVING ANY ANIMAL OF FOOD,WATER,SHELTER OR NECESSARY VETERINARY CARE
5) DEPRIVING ANY ANIMAL OF ACCESS TO CLEAN SHELTER SUFFICIENT TO KEEP IT DRY,PROTECT IT FROM BAD WEATHER AND BE ADEQUATE TO PRESERVE IT'S OWN BODY HEAT.

So, with this law in mind, first let me sum up the potential penalties if convicted.

A summary conviction under 5511 involves a fine of not less than $50 or more than $750 and/or imprisionment for not more than 90 days and additionally we can request forfeiture or surrender of the abused animals.
The fines can be added to EACH animal.

So, here's where it stands:

I was not present when the animals were removed, however, I can assure you that these animals were in jepordy and it was in their BEST INTEREST to be relocated since you were not available to care for them. I am in possession of the list of all removed. There were 8 deceased Ball Pythons and 1 deceased Saharan Sand Boa. The following is the assessment of the other problems with some of your snakes.

Several were treated for Mouth Rot and upper respiratory infections, Several were treated for Regurgitation Issues, and several were treated for Anorexia. There were urine and feces all over the floor, we had rats eating other rats(as per witness statements and pictures). There were expenses incurred for medications and transportation. You want to use these animals as colateral against your previous landlords, they can also be used during a sherriff's sale for money owed.

I am willing to come to an agreement regarding this issue, but YOU NEED TO CONTACT ME to try and resolve this situation for EVERYBODY'S best interest. MY concern is only the snakes. If you do not contact me, we can resolve nothing. I can be reached at 610-826-5113 or 610-826-4901.

I await your response.
Donna Crum
I would imagine that if this was a lawsuit issue now, he probably shouldn't be providing all of the court details to the public until after everything is settled...Though I will honestly say I am not familiar with how all that sort of thing works.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
shrap
Quote:
I didn't use the word "complete" in anything I said, Sammy. However, without proof from the OP about his personal experience in regards to the situation...I guess I don't get why Steve was labeled a "bad guy" if it was just based on a newspaper article (which again, can be nothing but sensationalized half truths)? We'll have to agree to disagree on the matter of it being a valid reason to post a negative BOI thread based on what little information was provided. Perhaps "info" would have been more appropriate rather then stamping a "bad guy" on the thread.

I btw, don't personally know Steve...Never met him in person at shows or anything...I just chat with him from time to time on RG (and oggle his BPs )...He seems like a very knowledgeable nice guy.
I dont really care what this thread was labeled. I never said a damn word about that at all and really have no opinion on it at this moment. So I have no idea why you are replying to me about that.

I only commented on the newspaper article itself and your view point that it did not belong on the BOI. Which I still contend is a bunch of horse apples. That article most certainly belongs on the BOI and should be addressed.

If you want to quibble over the thread title like that is the most important issue here then by all means continue do so, but there are other more pressing issues to me at this point.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
I dont really care what this thread was labeled. I never said a damn word about that at all and really have no opinion on it at this moment. So I have no idea why you are replying to me about that.

If you want to quibble over the thread title like that is the most important issue here then by all means continue do so, but there are other more pressing issues to me at this point.
I responded to you because you falsely stated that I said "a city newspaper is complete hearsay." Perhaps you didn't mean to quote me? My opinion on the matter stands; there's no reason for you to argue with me about my opinion and pull attention away from the issue.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
shrap
Quote:
I responded to you because you falsely stated that I said "a city newspaper is complete hearsay." Perhaps you didn't mean to quote me? My opinion on the matter stands; there's no reason for you to argue with me about my opinion and pull attention away from the issue.
Are you completely delusional? The article and its validity are the issues here and are what I HAVE been talking about.

Wow.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
GottaLuvHerps
This is very interesting to me since Steve contacted me on ReptileGeeks on 9/25/08 about possibly vending at our show in Carlisle, PA. My username there is KordeksKritters, and the contact was via my comments (page 2 if you view all of the comments). I will contact him regarding this thread and see if he is willing to respond here.

Kelly Kordek

Old 10-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
GottaLuvHerps
I just sent a message to Steve on ReptileGeeks letting him know about this thread. I am not 100% sure that this is the same person, but his username on RG is Serpents_Den. Hopefully he will come and respond.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
TripleMoonsExotic
I didn't mention it in my initial post, but I received an e-mail from Steve (and it is the same person on RG, Kelly) about an hour ago about the article...Which is why I thought to see if someone posted it on the BOI. I did actually already forward him the link to this thread after my initial response. If he does not respond here for whatever reason and he gives me permission, I will post what his e-mail said.

I think EVERYONE needs to take ANY article they read from the news media with a large grain of salt. The media reports things to attract readers regardless of missing or incomplete facts. They are not held accountable for reporting missing, incomplete or incorrect information. My local newspaper destroyed a man's businesses here in Hanover a few years ago by reporting a story with only half the facts...Even after he was proven innocent by a court of law, his reputation was DESTROYED and he had to close up shop...All because the newspapers report what will attract readers...

Tags
chris foley, eric musser, steve markevich