Inquiry Daniel Reed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
bobtard
Daniel Reed

Has anyone noticed this on all of his ads?

"***Spider gene free lineage. If you don't want spider neurological disorders in your stock, You shouldn't use snakes that have spider in there lineage.
An example of this, A breeder breeds a spider clown to a normal and produces spider het clowns and het clowns.
The normal het clowns can and do at times carry the negative neurological genes. I have seen the same neurological disorders in these snakes as I have seen in spider and spider morphs.
I have discussed this with other breeders that have seen and/or had this in their collections also.
I would be happy to discuss this with anyone by phone who has witnessed this or who would like more information."

What is this? I've never heard of this, or spoken to anyone who's ever heard of it.

Is this just some sales gimmick?

Old 10-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
DavidBeard
Never heard of which part.....You've never heard of the spider gene and the neurological defects that come along with it?

Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
Black Adder
i thought the spider potential neoro issues in the bp world were nearly as infamous as the jaguar neuro issues in the cp world....i dont do bp,s and even i am fully aware of it....
nothing new at all

Old 10-31-2016, 11:11 PM   #4
DavidBeard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
i thought the spider potential neoro issues in the bp world were nearly as infamous as the jaguar neuro issues in the cp world....i dont do bp,s and even i am fully aware of it....
nothing new at all
They're much more so infamous seeing as how the spider ball gene preceded the jaguar carpet by close to a decade (I think) lol.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
nickolasanastasiou
The claim made in the quoted portion seems specious. If the claimed observations are legitimate for some reason, the explanation in that quoted portion is not biologically sound.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #6
bobtard
Of course I know of the spider "issue", I own several animals with the spider gene.

I have never once heard of a "spider sibling" having nuero defects, and I've never spoken to anyone who has.

I should have been more specific, sorry.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
nickolasanastasiou
I understood what you meant.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Helenthereef
I'm NOT a Ball Python geneticist, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.... but I presume that there is at least an outside possibility that a spider sibling carrying recessive genetics for the neurological defects but not expressing them, breeds with another the same, there is at least a chance that a certain percentage of offspring (possibly a very low one) could express the wobble?

Or is it certain that no wobble means no gene?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #9
nickolasanastasiou
If the neurological dysfunction is due to the presence and expression of the spider gene, the siblings not having any copies of the gene present at all should not exhibit neurological dysfunction from that source.

Instead of no dysfunction meaning no gene, the order should be thought of as gene first and expression second.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #10
nickolasanastasiou
I can think of something else, but I want to see the person making the claim of the spider-gene-lacking animals having the same neurological dysfunction defend his statements.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!