Please Do Not Kill the Snake - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-01-2004, 06:36 PM   #21
psilocybe
Re: Re: Please Do Not Kill the Snake

Quote:
Originally posted by luchadora_5245
Hi i agree with wat u say coz i own several poisonous snake and they have never bitten me b4 coz i respect them and if they come to my house i will feed them and killing snake coz u are afraid of it is stupid and a way to identify a coral to another harmless breed is a rymth it gos like this ( red touches black friend of jack red touches yellow kills a fellow ) it really works
Quote:
hey kid i have been nailed by king cobras and black mamdas for more then 20 times and coral snakes are just desserts and handling snakes are my forte so if u don't trust my rymth don't touch any kind of snakes
Anyone see the contradiction?

luchadora: You my friend, are a complete idiot.

Now please stop posting harmful lies, and go do something constructive...like shooting yourself.

Old 10-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #22
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally posted by luchadora_5245
Seamus Haley
since u say the rymth doesn't ok which snake goes against that rymth or which harmless snake has a red touches yellow colour if u can show me the picture i will study it asap
Since Seamus hasn't answered yet, I'll do it for him.

Take a look at the photos he posted on his last post...can YOU tell what is deadly and what is harmless? I bet not, and your obviously not as educated on venomous as you let on, as there are over 80 distinct species of Micrurus, only 3 of which live in N.A, and many of those 80 or so coral snakes do NOT fit with the rhyme...

Old 10-01-2004, 10:41 PM   #23
Seamus Haley
Good looking out Abhishek.

Not only are there corals where the rhymes will call a coral harmless (over a dozen examples that I know of and I am by no means an expert on the genus), there are corals which totally defy the colors and patterns indicated in the rhyme (aren't banded, have different colors, lack one of the three common colors), there are also a huge number of species (Non-elapids) with similar patterning and color to the typical coral banding... There are completely 100% harmless colubrids which will sometimes have banding which the rhymes indicate are dangerous (Literally, I have seen thayeri kings which hatched with a pattern that looked nothing like a coral, but the red/yellow/black ended up with red touching yellow, which the rhyme claims is a coral), there are dozens of rear fanged species of varying toxicity which fall one way or the other in the patterning and there are even north american corals which defy the rhymes... An abberrent coral snake could easily turn someone's day rather bad if they handled it after mumbling some rhyme and checking for a rattle. Heck, reptiles magazine (not exactly a definite authorotative publication or anything but popular and widespread) even published photos of melanistic north american corals that defied the rhymes.

I honestly don't mind much if someone makes the claim about the colors... it's an honest, innocent and very common mistake with some situational truth behind it (In north america (er... well, discounting southern mexico down), discounting phenotypical abberrations it kind of almost works. Once it's been corrected though (Micrurus surinamensis, there's your species and it only takes one to make the rhymes false, even though there are plenty of examples) someone who refuses to let it go... that's kind of irritating.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:03 AM   #24
Mustangrde1
HOT OR NOT?
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #25
Alias47
I would guess not.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:39 AM   #26
Hognose_311
i would say not also...

Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #27
Mustangrde1
According to the rhyme though that snake should be hot. Red touches yellow kill a fellow. Yet It is not venomous and is a North AMERICAN species.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #28
psilocybe
Scott makes an excellent point...if someone who wasn't interested in snakes or hot snakes encountered that snake, and followed the rhyme, they would most likely kill it. Bottom line: If you can't positively (without using kiddie rhymes!) identify a snake as venomous or non, treat it as venomous and LEAVE IT ALONE!

Old 10-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #29
Hognose_311
All the time on Animal Plant (i spelt it wrong incase more legal stuff comes up again...might as well stay on the safe side from now on). i see Venom ER and people get bit by the snake, and then still have the nerve and the courage to go back and kill it. I know it's for identification purposes, but if you see a rattlesnake you know it's a rattlesnake, ofcourse you need almost the exact species identification,for the antivenom, but i guess they should be more aware..i just don't see how some people could be deadly afraid of a snake and then get bitten to add onto it, and then still be brave enough to go kill it..not saying that they shouldnt kill it...but im not saying that they should either...and if it happened to me, i wouldn't quite be sure what to do...whats someone else's opinion? And no this is not to argue about whether or not to kill it, it's only an opinion.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #30
Mustangrde1
Anyone living and enjoying the outdoors should learn the native species they may encounter. This serves to purposes. 1st proper id can save accidents and secound the same ID in the event of a bite can facilitate proper medical care.

Killing an animal for ID is not what we would like but for the Layman it may be the only solution.

Keep in mind however what you see on TV is not always fact. Without the drama there would be no show.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!