Bad Guy Pets & Such - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #1
monica1713
Angry Pets & Such

Me and my boyfriend got a baby Tegu at the watsatch reptile show on saturday the 15th of October and had kept his story updated on Tegutalk.com. Someone suggested we post what happened on here. Long story short within 16 hours from buying him from a vendor called pets &such he began prolapsing. We couldn't find a doctor to do anything until 4 hours later. He went into surgery and we went to the vendors. The vendors said we squished him or something and have to have x rays to prove it was impaction otherwise they can't do anything. Our baby died yesterday afternoon. Monday october 17th. We spent $440 at the vendor shop for him and supplies, $200+ vet bill especially if we need an autopsy. Plus an additional couple hundred for bedding, and cage stuff.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
monica1713
Some pictures of gooey.

Pictures of the prolapse, vet bill, him after surgery
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #3
monica1713
Some pictures of gooey.

Pictures of him before, the prolapse, vet bill, him after surgery

Old 10-19-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
Pasodama
My condolences on your loss.

Constipation is a primary cause for prolapse (due to strong straining to defecate).
Constipation can come about due to a few reasons. Improper diet, dehydration, impaction (by foreign material/object), very low temps (affecting digestion), or from a heavy load of parasites.
A prolapse can also occur from strong straining during the process of laying eggs (which, of course, is not the case here).
It is possible for hypocalcemea to play a part as well.

I find it unlikely that, in the very short time you had the tegu, you would have played a part in the tegu's prolapse.
It is more likely that, whatever played a part (setting the tegu up for a prolapse), took place prior to your purchasing the tegu.

Did the vet say what was the likely cause for the prolapse?

Old 10-19-2016, 01:43 AM   #5
monica1713
Cause of prolapse

We discussed the reasons that prolapse occurs with the vet and she agreed that we had nothing to do with it and he was so small that he was malnourished and she couldn't tell the age. Is tail was also broken in 2 places as the x-ray above shows.. we are getting a full autopsy and labs done so that we can have an actual cause of death and possible reason for his prolapse. The vet was mostly thinking something genetic or heredity. The store is being completely dishonest. Today they told us that according to the vet reports (which they haven't received because they just got written up today) it wasn't their fault. They are trying to cover their tracks cause we never even got to really hold him...

Old 10-19-2016, 02:08 AM   #6
Pasodama
If Pets & Such is being dishonest (such as re. vet report, etc ), that is another strike against them.
Getting labs, and an autopsy/necropsy, done is a great step to take.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:16 AM   #7
monica1713
Next step

Yes. They were trying to tell me what the vet said when they have not seen the full vet report. All they have seen is the x ray, also all the pictures we have from him prolapsing. They started off nice and acting like they cared but once we started asking about them paying the vet bill they say that it want their fault we must have "squished" him and when we showed the x ray showing that there was no other damage to the body they changed it to we must have done something traumatic to him.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:16 AM   #8
Pasodama
BTW Do you know if Pets & Such has a written Terms of Service?
If so, do you know what their TOS is re. animals for sale &/or sold?

Old 10-19-2016, 02:19 AM   #9
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica1713 View Post
Yes. They were trying to tell me what the vet said when they have not seen the full vet report. All they have seen is the x ray, also all the pictures we have from him prolapsing. They started off nice and acting like they cared but once we started asking about them paying the vet bill they say that it want their fault we must have "squished" him and when we showed the x ray showing that there was no other damage to the body they changed it to we must have done something traumatic to him.
It does sound like they are trying their best to get out of any liability.
Do you have any written correspondence? If so, could you post it?

Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 AM   #10
monica1713
Unhappy Liability

Yes, I have an email we sent sunday morning when they opened. I'll post it. They are trying to get liability out of it, but they are actually liable. All we did was take him home, put him in the cage we had researched for months, and didn't even hold him. The fact they are trying to blame us hurts. Because we tried so hard to make everything perfect for him so he could have a forever home with us.the vet says that we did everything correctly and she is working with us to correct this..
**they never responded to the email.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!