"Killer" Burmese python couple sentenced today - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
WJS Herps
"Killer" Burmese python couple sentenced today

Well, it was on the news tonight. The Sumter Co. FL, couple that let their undernourished python escape and kill a 2 year old were sentenced today to 12 years in prison and 5 years of probation. They were offered a plea deal for 10 years earlier, but thankfully they turned it down.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
WJS Herps
Oops! The source for this was Bay News 9.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
RoadHouse of Retics
People like that are what give the hobby a bad name. They got what they deserved. 12 yrs is nothing for taking an innocent childs life because of being irresponsible keepers.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
A Pretty Rave Girl
I wish they got longer. but, atleast the snake is alive right? i hope. :[ Those idiots deserve prison. The poor baby, and snake. :/ i've noticed a growing trend of people thinking that ALL snakes are dangerous, that they kill humans all of the time..Watched some show about African Rock Pythons, and they said they kill people. or will try to. where did they get this info? srsly.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Alex G
What's more, the snake was only 13 lbs and 5 years old? A snake that thin and malnourished wouldn't have had the strength to strangle a child, let alone consider one food. This case has seemed fishy fishy fishy since last year and I'm glad that they've gotten theirs.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
reptilebaby
I am scared to death of any snake over 8 feet. I don't trust anything I can't handle myself, and I have young kids. Stories like that only increase my fear of big snakes.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Wolfy-hound
If kept responsibly, then large snakes are not even as dangerous as dogs. Unless you're also afriad to have any dog the size of a cocker spaniel or larger around your kids, then it's a bit of a unfounded fear.

The idiots in this case didn't contain the snake and didn't feed it, but I still think they had more to do with the child dying than the snake did. Just suspicious to me. Even if they were stupid enough to put the snake all over the kid(like to take a pic) and it constricted suddenly... it's still a sign of how very stupid they were.

Yet in the same time, a few people have been killed by dogs, yet there's no general outcry to outlaw keeping all dogs or a bunch of fuss that no one with kids should keep any dogs due to the "extreme danger".

Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
RoadHouse of Retics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G View Post
What's more, the snake was only 13 lbs and 5 years old? A snake that thin and malnourished wouldn't have had the strength to strangle a child, let alone consider one food. This case has seemed fishy fishy fishy since last year and I'm glad that they've gotten theirs.
Wow I'd say, that snake was barely clinging to life.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
reptilebaby
I know, but it's a fear I have anyway. I know it's unfounded. Maybe it's in part how my parents react to the idea of a big snake around my kids. I've never been scared of dogs, but then I've been around dogs my whole life. I'm a dog trainer. I am absolutely, completely terrified of big snakes. I WAS scared of all snakes until my husband got his first corn snakes. h
He forced me to hold one at a pet store a LONG time ago. I know it's the same as prejudice against dog breeds like pit bulls, german shepherds, rotties, and dobes-all of which I like, but I don't trust big snakes, I currently have a corn that I can't find in the house. Unfortunately it's my son's albino....

Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
JCarter
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pretty Rave Girl View Post
but, atleast the snake is alive right? i hope.
Sad to say, but no the snake is not alive.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7983163

The video shows that the snake was almost cut in half about a foot down it's body. Sad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!