Jurassic Snacks or Fluker Farms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:41 PM   #1
William
Jurassic Snacks or Fluker Farms

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here knows why the www.jurassicsnacks.com URL now goes to the Flukerfarms site. Does Flukers now own Jurassic snacks? Just curious if anyone knows the dirt on this.

Thank You

William Lytle
Reptilefood.com

Old 01-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #2
Rob @ RK Reptiles
It sure seems that way does'nt it. I know Fluker has desires to dominate the entire market on everything to do with Reptiles & Amphibians and maybe this is just another step toward his goal.

Old 01-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
William
It does seem like it...

Not that I think they are trying to dominate the market, I just think they shoudl let us small internet companies know when they are going to begin possitioning themselves for Herp Domination. If that is indeed what they are doing. (just kidding of course) On the other hand, maybe they are trying to distract us after that Reptile Republic fiasco. I actually felt a little sorry for them after that.

Who knows, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
Casey Hulse
??

Republican reptiles? I thought they were independents. Oh well. Can you elaborate on the fiasco William? Thanx

Old 01-03-2003, 11:52 AM   #5
William
Fiasco Elaboration

Well, like quite a bit of things on the web this was just hear-say, but it was something to do with the Free Bearded Dragons they were giving away for a promotion and some of them had health problems which resulted in some dieing. There were some very unhappy people out there and most were pointing their fingers at Reptile republic, a "partnership" at the time with Fluker farms. One Fluker Brother has a lot to do with Reptile Republic (Howard I believe) and we all know what the other brother does (David).
After all that, there was talk of affiliations between the two and how Reptile Republic was taking over the reptile industry by selling several species of herps (Bearded Dragons, Uromastyx, Geckos, ETC) at very low prices to stores and overloading the market as with the Iguana. This happened back in August and all the talk has quieted some now.
There are bits and pieces of information out there about this on reptile republic's site and some of the forums on Kingsnake. Again this is mostly information I have read about in forums and chat rooms so I don't know how solid it is. At the top of the "Bearded Dragon" forum on Reptile Republic's site it states this...
"Personal attacks or anything considered off topic, abusive or using obscene language will be deleted. Anyone making such posts will be permanently banned from the site."

Most of it was actually quite amusing similar to the way thigs have gotten on fauna classifieds from time to time but most of the "negative" posts were deleted from their site.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
Uffern
The thing about the dragons has been somewhat hashed here. It had to do with RR/FF sending dragons with adenovirus,crypto, and yellow fungus into the US. Many of these dragons were so loaded with parasites that they arrived next to dead, and didn't take long to die. Entire collections died or had to be destroyed because of adenovirus, and more and more people show up at the KS forums posting pics of dragons with yellow fungus asking what it is, saying their vets can't seem to treat it. I would never feel sorry for RR/FF, as they have done more to spread disease amongst reptiles than anyone ever has.

Old 01-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
William
Very Well Written

Yes, very good, thanks for helping me explain and that is much more clear now.

Old 01-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #8
CheriS
Sorry, I would never trust any product that comes from this company, I can't imagine their food products are any less contaminated or care taken with them than their reptiles were.

In an article written about Fluker Farms and their products prior to their last venture
Technology Innovator of the Year: Fluker Farms
Randy McClain, BusinessReport.com, 9/10/2002
Quote:
We hope to be able to differentiate our animals from all the rest
They did....no other single breeder ever put more baby reptiles into the publics hands to watch them waste away and die, spending not only money but emotion, with the heartbreak of trying to help them survive.
Quote:
might be a household name by next summer
Well, they certainly made it, unfortunately, not a name to be proud of.
Quote:
David and Howard Fluker, though, intend to turn their exotic pets (some of which sell for $300 or more) into animals with a brand identity, think the Coca-Cola of lizards
Sadly, it appears the Fluker brother do not understand that animals are not a disposable product. When the animals die, their customers cannot just dump it down a drain and pop the top on the next one in the refrigerator. The Fluker brothers may be able to dismiss all the dead animals they are responsible for, but the people who bought them don't - and won't.

What I would have given to have David and Howard Fluker sitting in those homes, including mine, the last 24 hours of those tiny babies' lives.

I wonder what Business Report and the Baton Rouge Technology Council would think about their 2002 Technology Innovator of the Year Award to Fluker Farms if they knew what really goes on?

Their big marketing push with their catchy plastic passport cards took place in August-September, they handed them out at the Daytona show. Although many of us knew they were sending in very ill animals to the stores, their website actually did a service to the public and got the news out more. All we had to do was wait til those animals arrived to people directly from the FLukers, knowing they would die or at best be very ill. The they could not deny it or blame it on the stores.
Howard Fluker:
Quote:
I would like to thank everyone who has enjoyed our contest but due to recent posts in the Bearded Forum we have temporally decided to suspend the contest until we can check the health of all of our Bearded Dragons here at the Reptile Republic.
The saddest part is that they were sending them to stores long before the promo, and those animals have infected many others, wiping out entire collection, infecting other reptiles through handling at shows. Its continues to this day and will probably continue for some time, placing some species in danger in the United States, that are a limited gene pool to begin with.

They did it with iguana's a few years ago, bearded dragons a few months ago, now Howard is moving toward panther chameleons. A delicate breed to begin with... anyone want to bet on the outcome of this?

Shame on anyone that supports these companies in any of their multitude of names by products, animals, websites or classifieds

Old 01-06-2003, 08:53 AM   #9
William
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who posted about this, I still don't know exactly what flukers is up to with the jurassic snacks URL but now I have much more info on the RR/FF thing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!