Feeding veggies to 4-5 Beardie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #1
RFD32466
Feeding veggies to 4-5 Beardie

Have Monty 4-5 month old and having trouble feeding veggies. Eat crickets and wax worms-- no issue-- although I did notice larger crickets seem to stay around longer feedign 1/2'

So offering Collard, Mustard Carrots- eat small. I mean 2-3 piece of carrot occasionally.

Offered in feeding dish and on a flat piece where I place the crickets but he just isn't diving in.

So any tricks- some veggie or fruit that they LOVE-

When should I feed veggie-- first thing in the morning, evenings, etc

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
GitaBooks
Yeah, some dragons can take a while to learn to eat their vegetables. There are some tricks you could try. It is suggested to try using a paper clamp or something of the sort to hang a large leaf up, so they can pull at it and tear of pieces. You could try with-holding crickets for a day or two and see if he'll go for them then.
Some people say hand feeding can really get them to do it. Spraying them with water might also get their attention.
Drop in a cricket and once he gets the cricket drop in a small piece of leaf and see if he'll go for it.
Edible flowers like hibiscus may be more eye-catching for a young dragon at first, they can be picky. Greens such as dandelion, along with flowers, might be interesting as well.

It may take him a while, so be patient, avoid wasting large amounts of vegetables or greens if he won't eat them (just give small amounts) and make sure that all insect feeders are gut-loaded with lots of vegetables themselves.

I hope this helps. Best of luck! : )

Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
E.Shell
I got mine started by putting the crickets in a dish of greens, but when they are little, they seem to much prefer animal protein.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!