Info Courtney & George Schertler - Retic Owners Watch Puppy Being Eaten and Posts Pics - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #81
Yogi Bear
I find the statements and opinions of some posters regarding the matter of allowing a snake to get close enough to the family pet and eat it as "acceptable" to be very disturbing.

Before this thread, I found the BOI to be full of responsible and competent repliers. Now, I truly question the thoughts and motives of some people here.

For me, it is truly disappointing. It appears that many posters chalk it up as it is alright for the family pet and other animals to be eaten as long as it feeds the snake. The irresponsible people that this thread is about, appears to me, to be feeding this snake whatever they can get their hands on. This is NOT the thought that I had in mind, before this thread, of the reptile industry.

Unbelieveable!!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #82
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpVenue View Post
I post pics of rats getting eaten.

We watch on National Geographic as animals eat other animals.

In Asian countries they eat cats and dogs and monkeys all the time.
You're opinion is respected, but wrong. Whether or not these things occur in other countries around the world is not the point. The point is this occurred in the United States, where dogs and cats are considered and treated as domesticated pets. Your philosophy on the value of dogs is your own, but the law makers and legislature have a much different opinion.

As it has been stated time and time again in this thread, this is a direct assault against all reptile owners within the united states. Coupled with the morons in Florida releasing there exotics into the wild, incidents like this put great pressure on the government for change.

You are on a reptile website, where people have very strong feelings toward being able to own and sell there reptiles. Idiots like this are making it harder and harder to do.

Like it or not, the general population find acts like this disgusting, as do I. My opinion and the opinion of the masses is reflected in the law making body.

regards

Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #83
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi Bear View Post
I find the statements and opinions of some posters regarding the matter of allowing a snake to get close enough to the family pet and eat it as "acceptable" to be very disturbing.

Before this thread, I found the BOI to be full of responsible and competent repliers.
Now, I truly question the thoughts and motives of some people here.

For me, it is truly disappointing. It appears that many posters chalk it up as it is alright for the family pet and other animals to be eaten as long as it feeds the snake. The irresponsible people that this thread is about, appears to me, to be feeding this snake whatever they can get their hands on. This is NOT the thought that I had in mind, before this thread, of the reptile industry.

Unbelieveable!!
Really? Because If I reread this thread, I think I'll only find maybe two or three posters that deviated from that mantra out of thirty people that have posted.

If you are looking for 100%, I think you will be hard-pressed to find it on any topic. On this particular topic the majority seem to agree with your positions so I'm kind of baffled how that has a impact on the view competency of the majority posters. Most agree with your statements.

Also, I really think only one, user here may fit the definition of your post. As for the other(s) I think they were talking in generalizations how cats and dogs are elevated to a higher standard than other animals. Not that what this couple did was OK but differences in the public perception. It appeared it was more to the general topic then this situation.

I think it's obvious this couple doesn't value or use the term "pet" as you or I would.

I don't think anyone here has argued they take great care of their animals or pets, that their husbandry is great, that they were wise to post it on facebook, that they should feed puppies to their snake or every wildlife they could get their hands on. Accept for new poster that stated "leave them alone" I could understand the general points they were making while not condoning what happened.

So let me go ahead and add my personal opinion on the topic.

If it were a accident as they claim. It doesn't matter if it was a puppy, a pet rabbit or any another animal. Their husbandry and procedures suck. They have a powerful animal inadequately supervised in position to cause harm to something or someone. Doesn't matter if the dog got lose or not.

The positions assigned to different animals and their perceived "value" doesn't really matter in this situation. Their ability, common sense, and husbandry does.

Their lacking in judgment is dangerous.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #84
Chillswitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrules01@gmail.com View Post
I think that they should be left alone. I mean its common sense a snake will try to eat anything it can swallow and a snake that big it will be impossible to get off the dog so their was nothing they could have done to save that dog
So...what if it was a 15lb human toddler?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #85
Celtic Constrictors
I need a little clarification here. I understand they claim the dog "got loose" from the back yard, but that certainly doesn't clarify to me how it got in the jaws of a very large snake. Do they let this snake roam free? Indoors or outdoors?

I can't quite wrap my mind around the situation. I keep all my reptiles in secured cages and when I take them out 1.) There are no other animals within eyesight of them 2.) I have a firm hold on them, a leash on them, or they are within a defined border (fence, playpen, etc.) and being supervised.

Can anyone help me understand a little better?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #86
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine84 View Post
I need a little clarification here. I understand they claim the dog "got loose" from the back yard, but that certainly doesn't clarify to me how it got in the jaws of a very large snake. Do they let this snake roam free? Indoors or outdoors?

I can't quite wrap my mind around the situation. I keep all my reptiles in secured cages and when I take them out 1.) There are no other animals within eyesight of them 2.) I have a firm hold on them, a leash on them, or they are within a defined border (fence, playpen, etc.) and being supervised.

Can anyone help me understand a little better?
From what I have been able to figure on my own the past month or so talking to these people is their retic and a boa constrictor live in a bedroom of the house together. According to George, he or Courtney, was rearranging the snake room so the retic was out on the porch with the father-in-law.

At some point, their puppy supposedly slipped the fence from the backyard and ended up on the porch with the retic. Which also means this dog was killed and consumed in the front of the house in plain view of anyone else that happened to be outside.

The dog was shown in photos around this animal several times and people implored them to stop letting the puppy around the retic. The puppy, unfortunately, had no fear of that animal and wandered up to it on its own in several of the photos. So, if their story is to be believed, the puppy wandered onto the porch and was grabbed.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #87
kanozig
some people may think this is ok, or acceptable, others may even think its cool, regardless of what peoples personally opinions are... it is/ was irresponsible, what if it was the neighbors dog or cat?.... what if it were a neighborhood child? Owning a creature that large is like owning a gun... One of the biggest rules they teach in gun safety is to keep it either LOCKED up in your house, or in a safe area of your house where others can not get access to it... INCLUDING children. You do NOT like a HUGE Retic python "crawl around" unsupervised....

in the end, everyone will have their own opinion, BUT, IF this were a child.... it would hardly be funny or acceptable, and ultimately... like GUNS...

The Responsible owners will be the ones who pay....

next will be a bill to outright ban LARGE snakes.... because unlike a GUN... THEY can kill!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #88
meowmeowkazoo
As sick and sad as it is, I'm glad that they owned the puppy in question. As Keven pointed out, this could have been much worse if the neighbor's pet had been grabbed. Imagine the media around a story like that. "Giant snake attacks and eats beloved family pet." This kind of irresponsibility is incredibly dangerous for our hobby. It only takes a few people to convince the nation that all snakes are evil and give the HSUS fuel to ban reticulated pythons, green anacondas, and boa constrictors.

I REALLY don't want to lose my boa constrictors because of a few numbnuts that can't be responsible with their own animals.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #89
kanozig
correction *You do NOT *let* a HUGE Retic python "crawl around" unsupervised*

guns can* kill but it takes a human to pull the trigger. a snake was designed OR "evolved" to kill... and be a killer

Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #90
bennana
Your wrong on this one you are putting value of certain life over live because of your personal opinion. I am not saying i support them or any of their decisions or housing set ups but it is their choice to be stupid with their puppy and they did say they had some one that was supposed to be watching the dog. For the two snakes living together, I know most people are against but it has been spotted in the wild on multiple occasions so if they get along I do not see the problem with it. Their choice to post the picture of the dog being eaten is entirely their choice just because you don't like does not make it wrong or right.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!