Handling advise. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Didgeridoo333
Handling advise.

How long and how often do you feel you can hold your gtp? Do you feel five or ten min once or twice a week is way too much? Most of my boas and milksnakes I hold about that often and I hear many saying gtps are best for display only, that they stress very easily. With my boas they seem to benefit from some handling to get bowels moving, exercise, and seem more healthy overall with a little handling. I don't have a gtp yet but planning on getting one. I just don't know if I can have a display only pet snake. I really enjoy holding my snakes a few min once or twice a week. What are your thoughts?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Edwardo
Hi,

I agree they are much more of a display snake, that will do better for you, if set up correctly, and just left alone.

If you have an appropriatly sized cage, that has multiple climbing options, they will get there bowels moving and there exercise on there own.

I keep ETBs now and I never touch them....
Im 99.9% sure they have no desire to be handled.

This is my opinion..... Good luck

Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
SoCalAce
As babies they can be extremely fragile. I'm not sure what age they are considered stable, but I think it's more than a year if you want to be safe. I tend to agree with Edwardo, I think they have no desire to be handled, and they will express that very clearly.

Everything you'll ever want to know about GTP can be found in the book "The Complete Chondro" by Greg Maxwell. I thought it was a great read.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
SoCalAce
Actually, while reading another post I was reminded that there is a newer release called "The More Complete Chondro."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!