New Guy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
ricostupidass
Talking New Guy

I’m Rico 25yr old animal hoarder living in Atlanta Ga. Well not really my girlfriend is the reason we have three dogs and two guinea pigs recently had my chameleon Gamora pass after 9 years , so now I’m in the neighborhood and now looking forward to getting my first beardie. The Chameleon was fun, but looking for something more active and hands on beardies look to be what I’m looking for.

A friend of mine has a few and their pretty cool but older and stuck in there ways so haven’t had that much hand time with them more then a few hours over the last few months so I’m convinced.

the plans to attend the reptile convention here in Atlanta on Jul 28th and get one same day in person but I don’t know if I’ll be able to wait that long I get anxious and start doing my research get obsessed then I won’t rest till I have it , but trying to avoid all petstores and go the breeder route any pointers or advice I’m listening guys please and thanks in advanced.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Donald C
When buying at a show, I'd recommend looking up the vendors prior to going. I have encountered sellers at shows with some less than stellar animals when it came to health. Most shows will post a vendors list at least a week before the show, so there is plenty of time to research and vet potential sellers.

I wish you a good welcome back to the hobby and luck in your search.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
ricostupidass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald C View Post
When buying at a show, I'd recommend looking up the vendors prior to going. I have encountered sellers at shows with some less than stellar animals when it came to health. Most shows will post a vendors list at least a week before the show, so there is plenty of time to research and vet potential sellers.

I wish you a good welcome back to the hobby and luck in your search.
I actually looked into that and it looks like only Carolina Designer Dragons will be there from this site but it’s a ton of others to look into pretty much I’ll be pretty educated on beardies by the time July 28th comes around so then I’ll just have to compare my knowledge to what they’re saying there and go for what looks to be the better quality establishment with nice specimens and healthy ones

Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricostupidass View Post
I’m Rico 25yr old animal hoarder living in Atlanta Ga.
I just have to say, that part made me , for real. So, thank you, for doing that for me.

Quote:
Well not really my girlfriend is the reason we have three dogs and two guinea pigs
Clearly she is an animal lover. Or, at least, she loves mammals.

Quote:
recently had my chameleon Gamora pass after 9 years , so now I’m in the neighborhood and now looking forward to getting my first beardie. The Chameleon was fun, but looking for something more active and hands on beardies look to be what I’m looking for.
I am very sorry about the loss of your chameleon. However, your specimen definitely lived a very good and long life. Can I ask what species you owned?
Since, you are looking for a more hands on pet, Pogona vitticeps, would be a great choice for your next ectothermic pet.

Quote:
rA friend of mine has a few and their pretty cool but older and stuck in there ways so haven’t had that much hand time with them more then a few hours over the last few months so I’m convinced.
I bet, though, I am anything but an expert on Pogona vitticeps, I would assume an older specimen is fairly easy to tame.

Quote:
the plans to attend the reptile convention here in Atlanta on Jul 28th
That is great. Like Donald C posted, try and check out the breeders/vendors before you get to the show.

Quote:
and get one same day in person but I don’t know if I’ll be able to wait that long I get anxious and start doing my research get obsessed then I won’t rest till I have it ,
I completely understand. I have learned that all good things in life are worth waiting for.

Quote:
abut trying to avoid all petstores and go the breeder route any pointers or advice
That is very very good. I have no other pointers or advice, other then following Donald C advise, when attending the show.

Quote:
I’m listening guys please and thanks in advanced.
We are all here to listen to you as well. Thank you, for doing Fauna.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
ricostupidass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
I just have to say, that part made me , for real. So, thank you, for doing that for me.

Clearly she is an animal lover. Or, at least, she loves mammals.

I am very sorry about the loss of your chameleon. However, your specimen definitely lived a very good and long life. Can I ask what species you owned?
Since, you are looking for a more hands on pet, Pogona vitticeps, would be a great choice for your next ectothermic pet.

I bet, though, I am anything but an expert on Pogona vitticeps, I would assume an older specimen is fairly easy to tame.

That is great. Like Donald C posted, try and check out the breeders/vendors before you get to the show.

I completely understand. I have learned that all good things in life are worth waiting for.

That is very very good. I have no other pointers or advice, other then following Donald C advise, when attending the show.

We are all here to listen to you as well. Thank you, for doing Fauna.

It’s lit, I’m now tryna figure out should I jump the gun get a Vivarium lit now and set it all up or wait for the convention and buy it all that day

Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
bcr229
Typically you want the enclosure set up and running for several days before you bring a new critter home. That way if there are any problems with it you have time to correct them before an animal is living in the viv.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
ricostupidass
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Typically you want the enclosure set up and running for several days before you bring a new critter home. That way if there are any problems with it you have time to correct them before an animal is living in the viv.
Exactly why I was actually working on getting one now, but so many opinions and different ideas out there probably gonna side with a decent 40g Vivarium set up for now

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!