Change to mobile device appearance/format? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! THE BOI IS SOLELY FOR THAT PURPOSE.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #41
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Did something happen here to make it difficult for new members to post? In less than a week, we have had 100 new registered members and only one (1) of them has made even a single post on the site.

That is just real unusual, so I'm wondering if something happened that I need to be aware of.
Of course, I can't speak for others, but I lurked for several months after I registered. Mostly, I was just trying to get a feel for the site and its members, and what the general culture was like. With the BOI gone, maybe folks joined just to view/post classifieds, and may never feel the need to post.
 
Old 03-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #42
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
Of course, I can't speak for others, but I lurked for several months after I registered. Mostly, I was just trying to get a feel for the site and its members, and what the general culture was like. With the BOI gone, maybe folks joined just to view/post classifieds, and may never feel the need to post.
Well, sounds like a good theory, so I went through and did some spot checks of various periods of new registrations in the past to check where those people were posting, and I would have to say that 99% of them posted in the classifieds section, whether responding to an existing ad, or starting one of their own. And those areas I checked were AFTER the BOI had been closed.

So I tend to think that the closing of the BOI has nothing to do with this recent phenomenon.

BTW, I was talking about posting on the entire site, which does include the classifieds sections. Basically zip for postings from those new registrations.
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #43
WebSlave
FYI, I asked my programmer to remove the Adsense Auto-ads code, as I think it may have been chasing people away with the intrusive ads. But I intent to monitor things to see how it goes. If it doesn't make any difference in traffic either way, but knocks back the income from the Adsense ads substantially, then I will ask my programmer to re-implement it.

So if anyone has any comments pro, con, or neutral about this stuff, please chime in here. I would rather make decisions based on some input, but wouldn't be the first time I have just bitten the bullet to see what happens.
 
Old 03-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #44
Beyond GenetiX
I don't have a computer, only an iPad and I hate it 😂😂😂. "Request desktop site" only stays active for a short period of time. It has been really cumbersome for me to be on, I understand that it's my choice to not buy/use a computer.
 
Old 03-20-2020, 01:08 AM   #45
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond GenetiX View Post
I don't have a computer, only an iPad and I hate it ������. "Request desktop site" only stays active for a short period of time. It has been really cumbersome for me to be on, I understand that it's my choice to not buy/use a computer.
So what exactly do you hate? Was it better here before the mod was done to try to make this site more "mobile friendly", or the site in general from the very beginning accessing it via your mobile device?

Personally I just hate accessing the internet at all via my smart phone, but that is just me. So I just don't do it. At all.
 
Old 03-20-2020, 04:02 AM   #46
Logician
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond GenetiX View Post
I don't have a computer, only an iPad and I hate it 😂😂😂. "Request desktop site" only stays active for a short period of time. It has been really cumbersome for me to be on, I understand that it's my choice to not buy/use a computer.
For ipad, mobile skin isn't suppose to kick in. I tweaked it a little, please check now.
 
Old 03-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #47
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So what exactly do you hate? Was it better here before the mod was done to try to make this site more "mobile friendly", or the site in general from the very beginning accessing it via your mobile device?

Personally I just hate accessing the internet at all via my smart phone, but that is just me. So I just don't do it. At all.

The mobile skin on iPad, every second reply in the thread was an ad or blank for the most of the page, then another reply.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Logician View Post
For ipad, mobile skin isn't suppose to kick in. I tweaked it a little, please check now.
This is much better now, makes me feel like I'm home again. I know I'm not the only user but it was rough for me.
 
Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #48
Insomniac101
It seems much better for me too. I was having the same issues as Jason was, but on my phone, not an iPad.

It was getting annoying to be bounced back to the "mobile" log-in page every time I clicked on any thread. Sometimes, I would click on a thread, and would get a full-page ad. But mostly, it would direct me back to the mobile version log-in screen.

Thanks for looking into it, and making some adjustments. Much better; for me, anyway.
 
Old 03-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #49
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
FYI, I asked my programmer to remove the Adsense Auto-ads code, as I think it may have been chasing people away with the intrusive ads. But I intent to monitor things to see how it goes. If it doesn't make any difference in traffic either way, but knocks back the income from the Adsense ads substantially, then I will ask my programmer to re-implement it.

So if anyone has any comments pro, con, or neutral about this stuff, please chime in here. I would rather make decisions based on some input, but wouldn't be the first time I have just bitten the bullet to see what happens.
Well, FYI, things have really nosedived with the Google Adsense income after my programmer disabled the autoads thing, so I have asked him to re-enable it. Income is less than a third of what it was prior.

This might not be the entire reason for the significant drop in Adsense revenue, though, as quite likely this COVID-19 issue is also taking it's toll here in a number of ways. As people lose their jobs, or the fear thereof, paid memberships and paying advertisers will certainly drop like a rock. Even general participation here will likely drop off substantially as I believe many people tend to use the networks where they work for a substantial portion of their internet browsing. And are people really going to be interested in viewing ads of animals and products that they can not really afford to invest in right now?

So it behooves me, I believe, to not disable anything that might bring in even a little bit of extra income for this site for as long as it works as it was designed. I apologize if this causes people heartburn with their viewing this site on their mobile devices. I wish the world were just perfect for everyone, but obviously that is not the case. So I just have to make the best decisions I can, with everything I can think of in mind.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android mobile device pic attachment test Fangthane Testing area 3 03-03-2015 11:12 PM
Minor change to classifieds format WebSlave FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum 4 11-10-2009 05:44 AM
Is there a way to change the appearance of the board? dirty_harry FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum 5 03-26-2006 10:03 PM
Classified ad appearance Reptayls FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum 4 01-17-2006 01:41 AM
Change of heart...the poll that never was, continued in another format. PLEASE READ!! screamdreams General Business Discussions 5 02-05-2003 05:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.05910206 seconds with 12 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC