Commercial Venom Production - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2005, 01:06 AM   #1
SCReptiles
Commercial Venom Production

Several months ago, a debate on the legalities of venom production took place on the forums of veomousreptiles.org. I made the statement that I had no moral problem with producing venoms to be used in research. I was scolding by a renowned venom producer, who made the claim all venom production falls under the guidelines of the FDA, thus all venom producers must be up to FDA venom producing code. Based on direct correspondence with FDA officials, I have discovered that is not the case. According to the official I have spoken with, the FDA has no jurisdiction on venom unless it is to be used as the component of a medicine or being used directly as a medicine. Venom for educational purposes or animal and/or cellular research projects is not governed by the FDA. As he explained it to me, salt and water are not governed by the FDA, however, warm saltwater used to treat a sore throat would technically fall under their jurisdiction. Venom is its raw state is not governed by the FDA, however, venom used as treatment for a human disease or used in research on humans, would be governed by the FDA. I did not have his permission to post our emails, so I will not. Anyone wishing to see it, write me and I will forward you a copy. Thank you. Chuck@SCReptiles.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!