how to cool 60F cage down??? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #11
hotlips
I'll just add that whenever you use gel or ice packs, they "sweat" & drip...so if putting them on top of a cage (because cold sinks), just know you'll also have drips & a moisture problem. I hate to say this, but keeping creatures in your climate that need lower temperatures long-term just doesn't seem to be a very good idea. The ideas you're talking about aren't something you'll enjoy doing for months of every year. I once considered keeping a type of non-native snake that needed cooler temperatures than I could reliably provide, so I just never went ahead with it, putting the needs of the animal ahead of my desire to keep it. I wish I had a better answer for you, other than a portable a/c (which gets pricey). Even if you use a portable a/c, what happens when the power goes out?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
gabe86
I clearly understand the sweat and drip from a frozen item like a water bottle or a ice pack. ( my geckos our more dry climate not wet so i was try to prevent the soil from being tol wet. ) As far for my geckos which are not snake and very different compare to other geckos. They thrive in colder climates from what i read. I would like to breed them in order to breed them i have to mimic the cold weather best as i can. these geckos have to be in the temp in 60s. From May - Aug. I also did my research and look up the temps from Madagascar in that region to make sure the temp is what they say it gets. Which it does. After Aug im plan on keep the temp warm as any other gecko should be. As for the portable A/C I dont have the room for it. I have several animals in my room so i cant cool the whole room off. If so then it affect the other geckos and frogs i have in my room. My aim is try to cool the room not to cold but cool for the other animals to be happy with thier temp. So the portable a/c will not work. I have look into it but they alot of them only blow cool air not cold.

Last night I bought a small 5inx6inx6in insluation cooler that fits inside 18x18x24. I did experiment with some ideas. I freeze up a small water bottle and put in side the cooler ( so when it does sweat it will only sweat in the cooler and not on the corkbark or soil. I made a large hole on top and a small on the side and over it with a mesh screen over the holes so the geckos wont get inside for what ever reason. i then put a small pc fan ouside the terraium facing down at the cooler. While i was doing this. I did monitor the temp. When I got home from work it was set temp was at 71F after using the cooler the temp drop down to 66-68F. This morning the temp did rise up back to 71 and the frozen bottle as already melted with very little sweat in the cooler. This seem to work but I would like to try other ideas to see what will work best. My next ideas was to order another small cooler make a small hole. Put frozen bottle water with a small or medium pc fan. Try to push cool air out from the hole. Maybe the ice will say cooler alittle longer.

My other ideas is to use medium pc fan, heatsink,waterblock, water pump, radiator ( which i will over it over in a plastic bag and dip in ice so it wont rust). This time i will "not use the peltier". Since it didnt work for in the start. it seem like a good idea but i think the peltier will be a hassle since it will over heat the cool side. So my thought on the this project it could work. I would have to change the ice out more often. but i will have to worry about the condensation dripping from the tube and water block down to the cage. So this may or may not work.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
yodawagon
Get a small used fridge off craigslist. Run the water line through it, that should lower it, and you can use the CPU cooler stuff you already have.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
gabe86
Thanks I will keep that in mind. If I find one I will try to do that.

Well this 2 weeks I have try to play with two ideaI had in mind. I use a small cheap cooler online. make a hole on the side with a mesh over the large hole to cool air to push out and a fan inisde with a frozen water bottle. Like some of the videos i seen on Youtube. This kind of work. I have seen the cage cool around 66F. Only problem with this is the frozen water bottle doesnt say frozen for to long. I would say it melts with in 2 to 3 hours.

My other ideas was to buy a both side cooler fan that is sold on amazon and aliexpress etc. I use the same method on using the cooler as the small cooler refrig. My first step was to stand it up right and have the cooler lid with a few holes at the bottom for cool air to push out slowly. Then i got another styrofoam and try it in to fit over the small cooler and have it in the corner of the cage so the geckos wont go over it ( geckos wont get cut in half or get burn with the hot heatsink). Have the fan pointed up so the hot air is blowing up. After giving it a few days. I realise this also some problems. I use my thermo gun and notice the bottom where the hole i poke on the cooler lid. It did get around 70s. While around the cage the temp was much high. Even leaving it over night. This didnt not help. Since I didnt have any thing to seal the cracks around the cut styrofoam the heat from the fan was leaking out from it. So this didnt not help. Also did notice peltier doesnt even last for to long. After having 2 in stock. ( not sure if they are bad or they are not supppose to be going on and off. After I unplug it several times to make a twik here an there). If they are not design to be going off and on they this would be pointless to do. If I expect the small thermo cooler to go off if this to cold and on if it too hot etc.

After may fails I came down to my final thoughts. Either I spend more money on a A/C keep my own room cold ( which again I have other animals in my room. Which cant go under 70sF ) Or i wait for the cold season to come and move my geckos cage to the outside window to keep them cold (60F) for 2 month.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
hotlips
When you keep animals in cages, you owe them proper conditions to thrive. If you insist on keeping geckos that must be cool, then you should cool your room with A/C & add heat to the other cages so they maintain their proper temperatures simultaneously. The only other way I can think of is to find someone you TRUST, who keeps their place cooler & who will 'gecko-sit' for a couple months so your geckos don't suffer. Many vets offer pet boarding...you might ask around? An exotic vet hospital might have someone on staff who would be willing to do it for a reasonable fee at their own place? It's time to ask around & don't be shy.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
gabe86
I guess i never thought about that. But than again I didnt know they do they that kind of service. I know a place here in the Dallas area they do provide a pet service. I know they do pet sitting for reptiles while im on vacation. And they will come to give you advice for reptile cage setup. I could ask them. http://www.dfwreptarium.com/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
cooling, terrarium