Anyone breed deer mice as feeders? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
dzoo
Anyone breed deer mice as feeders?

Was wondering if anyone still breeds Deer mice (Peromyscus) as feeders? A lot of people used to breed them back in the days when Gray Bands were really popular, there were domesticated strains that even came in different colors. They were good for getting stubborn feeders to eat. Not to be confused with the"Soft Fur Rats" that are popular now.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
snowgyre
I don't know of anyone who breeds Peromyscus. I'm not sure if you could locate a hantavirus free population to use either. Given a keeper's frequent exposure to dried feces, hantavirus could be a very real, significant danger to Peromyscus keepers. Up to 60% of some wild Peromyscus populations carry the disease, which is frequently fatal to humans.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
dzoo
Yes definitely a concern. I believe the ones I had before came from laboratory stock as they were assorted colors.
They are available here:
http://stkctr.biol.sc.edu/index.html
But price is about $50 per mouse plus shipping (if they will even sell to the public)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!