BEL Burmese Python Eye Problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
CombatWombat
BEL Burmese Python Eye Problem

Hey Everyone,

I was hoping maybe I could possibly get some insight from the reptile community on my blue eyed lucy burm before I go to a vet.

I noticed this the other day and I have no idea what it is. He eats fine and doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Photos attached.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Is it simply eye cap shed left on his eye?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
CombatWombat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Is it simply eye cap shed left on his eye?
That's what I thought when I first saw it. Not an eye cap.

I know you can't see it well in the photo but it's also relatively swollen.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Robert Walker
If it is not eye cap left on, then I unfortunately am not sure what it is.
I know you said that it is not eye cap, are you 110% sure?

I have seen something similar to this before, were the secretion builds up if the cap stays on after a couple of missed sheds and can bulge. Because he is a BEL, is it possible you missed a previous eye cap?

Just thinking out loud and trying to help.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
CombatWombat
I am 110% sure it's not an eye cap.
It's perfectly alright, thinking out loud might come up with something I haven't thought of.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
CombatWombat
There was an eye cap intact with his previous shed and almost always comes off in one piece. Eye cap was my first thought last week when I noticed and have soaked and tried shed ease. Doesn't seem to be the case

Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatWombat View Post
There was an eye cap intact with his previous shed and almost always comes off in one piece.
Okay. I was mostly wondering not so much if this last eye cap came off, but rather if one previous to it came off... like he had built up eye caps.

Well I am curious to see what the vet tells you. I inherited an adult female ball python with what looks like a half milky eye, but no bulge. Not around her right now or I would post a picture too. In any event good luck and please post the results

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #8
CombatWombat
Thank you very much Robert.

I just want to make sure that it's something that isn't going to get worse over time.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Robert Walker
I look forward to your findings.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
CombatWombat
Update

Thought I'd give an update on the situation because I haven't gotten the chance to recently.

So I talked with several people about the eye and the majority kept thinking maybe it was a cyst or a tumor along side a build up of fluid. Nothing was seen at the vet.
The vet said they can remove the eye but there's really no reason as long as it isn't getting bigger or causing him pain but he is blind in the eye.

I've officially named him Mr. Wednesday btw after the character in Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods'
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
burmese python