Alert!!!!!! Fraudulent credit card purchases - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Nicole Elliser
Exclamation Alert!!!!!! Fraudulent credit card purchases

Ok guys this one is going to be tricky to explain but if you take credit cards over the phone you need to read on.........

This morning I got a phone call from a very nice lady named Mary........she was placing the order for her boss Douglas Danner who was out of town at the present time.........she gave me all of the credit card info and bill to address of the card holder (her boss).........and wanted me to run the card then and there because her boss wasn't sure if the card would have enough funds available on it to cover his order ........so I did and the card was decline as she thought........she put me on hold and came back with an associate of her bosses by the name of Charles Millway jr........he gave me his credit card info and bill to address then put me back on the phone with Mary........this card approved and they wanted the order shipped today directly to the UPS hub in West Columbia SC.........They were very persistent about the order being shipped before the weekend............she provided me with a phone number but said it would be best for her to call me back because they were always mobile........I also asked for her cell number to call her back with some other info and she said they couldn't receive incoming call on her corporate phone.

We called our credit card merchant company to check the info because it just seemed fishy and the amount of the order was over $500.00
and sure enough its was a scam.........the names mentioned above are innocent victims of credit card theft...........

I wasn't sure if I should post the names given to me by this Mary person but if they are out there call around the community they will surely be using the same names to make other purchases........please let as many people as you can know about this message..........

Thanks for listening.......
Nicole Elliser

Old 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
ms_terese
Call the credit card company back and ask them to cooperate with nabbing these people.

Send empty boxes, make sure they have to sign for them at the hub, and have the authorities waiting.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Elliser
We called our credit card merchant company to check the info because it just seemed fishy and the amount of the order was over $500.00
and sure enough its was a scam.........the names mentioned above are innocent victims of credit card theft...........
Definitly, not being able to accept incoming calls, deliver to hub and not address, ship immediatly all that does bring up red flags.

The only thing I'm curious about is that if the credit card company knew they were victims of CC theft, why was the card approved?

Old 01-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
cthulhu77
thanks for the "heads up" notice...! Yeah, whenever something starts to look weird, call people first!!
greg

Old 01-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Nicole Elliser
If it was only that easy......

Ms.Terese

We tried that.......we called the issuing bank for both cards.......our merchant company and visa (which both cards were).......we offered to send out a empty box ........Everyone we talked to could care less.........
We actually spent 3 hours on the phone both Kevin and myself telling and retelling the story to everyone the transferred us to and we were just getting the run around...........Our own merchant company's solution to the problem was just to not ship the order........they wouldn't even check to verify that the card holder was the one placing the order.........

I did however look up the names on a person finder and contacted them both to make them aware of the fraud being committed with their cards........
They actually called back after my original post and I delayed shipping until Monday..........so we contacted the crime prevention department in Columbia SC......so hopefully some one will help us get these low lives..........
These people are smooth talkers too.......I almost shipped the package........the only thing that stopped me was a gut feeling........

Nicole Elliser

Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Nicole Elliser
If it was only that easy......

Ms.Terese

We tried that.......we called the issuing bank for both cards.......our merchant company and visa (which both cards were).......we offered to send out a empty box ........Everyone we talked to could care less.........
We actually spent 3 hours on the phone both Kevin and myself telling and retelling the story to everyone they transferred us to and we were just getting the run around...........Our own merchant company's solution to the problem was just to not ship the order........they wouldn't even check to verify that the card holder was the one placing the order.........

I did however look up the names on a person finder and contacted them both to make them aware of the fraud being committed with their cards........
They actually called back after my original post and I delayed shipping until Monday..........so we contacted the crime prevention department in Columbia SC......so hopefully some one will help us get these low lives..........
These people are smooth talkers too.......I almost shipped the package........the only thing that stopped me was a gut feeling........

Nicole Elliser

Old 01-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
cthulhu77
Hey, good call on the part of your intestines then !!! As long as nothing bad happened, it is all for the best...and thanks again for the warning !
greg

Old 01-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
Bringerofdoom
The bad guys always go after the good people. Good thing you caught this beforehand.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
montezuma
This information is always appreciated.
I have had teenagers (acting as if they are adults) get ahold of their parents credit cards... when I ask to speak to the parents they have authorized the transaction, when I persist and tell them I cannot ship until the parent calls they say they will have them call me back. The next call I get is always "we'll have to wait on the order, can you hold that gecko for me?"

Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
KNOBTAIL
the problem is:

these credit card companies could not care less because no one is out CASH. the seller becomes responsible and looses the goods. Even if monies were credited to the sellers account,.............it would be charged back to the seller. The only exception to this is if this is a cash transaction, and then it becomes federal!

I am not surprised that a conscientious seller can easly spend hours on the phone trying to foil an unfolding plot only to find out that the credit card companies are only concerned about bank related issues.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!