How do you guys manage? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Xelda
How do you guys manage?

I only have about 30 leos right now, and between work and finals week, I am absolutely pooped! How on earth do you people who own 100+ leos manage to take care of all of them? I know I'm not the only college student in here, but what about those of you who work full-time?

Old 12-13-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
progeckos
Well it’s not easy. I’m also a full time college student and time is scarce. I don’t work though. I had 2 finals today and 2 more on Thursday. At least the 2 hardest are out of the way. I have about 95 animals and 10s of thousands of feeder bugs to care of every day. This semester I get home about 1pm and start taking care of everything and 3 - 4 hours later I’m done. Then I do homework until midnight. I do come on fauna a little everyday and if the homework is not too heavy I spend more time here. Oh, I’m so glad this is the final week. . . I need a break. . .

Old 12-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
robin d.
ummm we dont sleep LOL jk... personally i work til the wee hours of the morning to get done what needs to be done. then catch some zzzz's then go to work and start all over

Old 12-13-2004, 11:00 PM   #4
Tribal Gecko
I work full time nights, so ussually check on everything when I get home in the morning about 7am, then go to bed, I'm ussually up around 5 or 6, and don't work till 10:30, so ussually get things done during that time.

But next season when I have more to take care of, I am hiring my fiance's little brother :P

Old 12-13-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
Niqui13
Wink I feel your pain!

I too am a full time college student. I also work 2-3 days per week. I am in nursing school so along with my 17 hours of classes, I also have to go the hospital for my clinical twice a week. It's rough, but I love my Leo's even if I have to sacrifice some sleep every now and then. I have only been breeding Leo's for one year, but the 20 I have so far keep me plenty busy. No matter how busy I always seem to be I love my school, job and Leos. I wouldn't change a thing! (well actually a bit more sleep would be nice )

Old 12-13-2004, 11:31 PM   #6
Jeremy Letkey
This is something that I discussed at length with my wife. I work at least 50 hrs a week. My wife also works full time. We have a ten month old son. He is our first. He is priority number 1. My wife and I try to make sure that the other has some free time each night to do what ever we need to do to relieve stress. For my wife it is usally a bath and a book. Me I tend to all the critters. We are both up at 5am and we usally don't get to bed before 11 or 12pm. It is hard but my wife is always understanding of this hobby(obsession). I asked this same question when my son was first born. Now I'm glad to be able to get atleast 5 uniterrupted hours of sleep. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths we go to for these amazing little animals.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:48 PM   #7
Lucille
Congrats on nursing school, I remember what a challenge that was!! (Now I am in law school lol).

I think you just make time, my critters are very important to me and are a big part of my life, but it is hard to manage sometime. The critter care definitely comes before housework for me, so there may be unfolded clothes and dishes that need to be put away, but the critters need their time and care.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
SableLynx
Well...

If it was just the leos it would not be too hard. We also have 3 horses, 4 dogs, 4 cats, 3 Bettas, a fire belly toad, a rat, a rabbit, 2 birds, and a 55 gal aquarium that only has 5 fish right now. I work midnight shifts also. I leave home at 915 pm and get home around 630-700 next morning. Then we also have 2 teenagers activities to keep up with. Everyone pitches in and helps so it all goes pretty smooth. Hubby takes the horses and dogs, one daughter has the birds and rat, the other has the cats and rabbit. I get all the aquatics and reptiles as well as policeing up whatever was forgotten and double checking everyone got taken care of. (Never a day someone wasn't left out.) The leos get done in the evening when I wake up. Every one else gets taken care of in the morning. And I get to sleep from 830a-330p most days.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:37 AM   #9
Milwaukee Reptiles
I am my also a full time college student (18 credits... what the hell was I thinking...), I also work part time (15-25 hours a week). Usually, I get up at 6, go to school, come home at 3, feed/clean/play with my animals until 4 or 5 or so, go to work until 9, do homework, and any extra time that I can keep eyes open is spent here. I notice that my forum time is being reduced more and more as the weeks go on

I'm lucky enough to be on trimesters, so at least I don't have finals this week (that was the end of nov)... but with all the holiday stuff going on it gets a little crazy.

The only thing I would change... make the days about 28 hours long so I could sleep for an extra 4... man that would be nice.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:33 AM   #10
Xelda
After finals week, I'm going to spend winter break working 7 days a week, which would be something like 55-60 hours. Luckily, I do have a couple of nights off, plus Friday night is purely reserved for cage cleaning and then going out with friends if I have time lol. Then when next semester starts, I'll be working about 25 hours a week and taking 16 hours of school. I should be able to handle it because I've done that before, but I'm considering the possibility of foregoing next breeding season or at least postponing it until the summer. But I'll be going to school full-time during then too. I haven't quite decided what to do. I don't want to be one of those folks who has to suddenly drop everything and sell my entire collection. I do have other pets too, but they're much more low maintenance than the geckos.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!