Snake on a car! Memphis family watches as snake slithers over windshield while drivin - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Snake on a car! Memphis family watches as snake slithers over windshield while drivin

Some people have all the luck. Bad thing is they drive until the snake falls off more than likely killing the animal or another car runs it over. At 65 mph the poor thing didn't have a chance.

Quote:
Snakes alive!

A slithering serpent snuck up on a Memphis area family's SUV as they barrelled down a highway.

Rachel Fisher, 26, was at the wheel going about 65 miles an hour as the sizeable snake slid across her windshield. Her husband recorded 2 minutes and 24 seconds of the spectacle as she alternated between girly screams and nervous giggles.

"Ooooh my God. Oh my God. Oh my god," she says, while their three children - Elizabeth, 3, Judah, 2 ½, and Rivers, 4 months - babble from the backseat of their GMC Yukon.

The family was traveling from Fisher's parents' house in Cordova, a suburb east of Memphis, into the city. They had been driving for about 15 minutes, when Tony, a 29-year-old financial planner and church worship minister, noticed their unseemly visitor.

"My husband saw it out of the corner of his eye and did a double-take," the mom told the Daily News. "He whipped out his phone and turns it on and captures the whole thing until it falls off."

The family suspects the snake stole its way into the SUV's engine compartment overnight July 15 and emerged the next day once they got going on Tennessee's Sam Cooper Boulevard.

"We assume the engine just got too hot and it went looking for a cooler place," Fisher said.

"Usually, snakes don't freak me out that much, but I was clenching everything," she said, still laughing a bit nervously about the incident. "It was really weird. I mean, didn't know what the heck it was. We just knew it was a huge snake and the kids were the in back."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati..._while_dr.html
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
pythonjim
Yeah, this came up on my homepage yesterday....... I hope the guy driving, soiled his pleated cackis. "Honey! Be careful....it might smudge the polish on our mini-van"

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
wcreptiles
Snake-on-a-windshield video - animal cruelty?

Quote:
If you were driving down a freeway and an animal appeared on the hood, would you pull over?

What if that animal were a snake?

A video making the rounds on the Net shows a Memphis family cruising down a highway at 65 mph when a snake crawls out of the engine compartment and onto the hood of their SUV. With mom Rachel clenching the wheel, dad Tony pulls out a camera phone and and tapes 2 minutes and 24 seconds of confused, writhing serpent.

"I don't know how we're going to deal with this! I want this thing to fall off!" exclaims hysterical Dad, who erroneously identifies it as a water moccasin. (It appears to be a nonpoisonous species.) The family shrieks, titters, laughs nervously, but Mom never pulls over.

Dad gets his wish: The unfortunate creature finally drops over the side, likely to its death.

Comments seem divided into two camps - those cheering the mother's cool behind the wheel and welcoming the snake's demise, and those condemning the family's action as potentially dangerous and tantamount to animal cruelty.

Here's a sampling:

garygdj:
I hate snakes too. When I lived in Florida I ran over a snake with the lawn mower.

northstar:
I was going to say that I would have been happy to run over their snake. A lot more challenging than squirrels and chipmunks.

NY_to_PA:
I've run over snakes in my driveway and some of them just crawl away. The only way to be sure you got the snake is to park a rear wheel over the snake and then peel out. Does it every time.

ColoMom:
No I don't know what I would have done!!! Other than screaming & screaming. I hope I could have kept driving straight. I would be trying to figure out what to do, if I pull over will it go back in side??? Could it get into the passenger compartment??? Honestly my last thought would be for the safety of the snake. I'm an animal lover but in this instance my thought would be on my safety & that of my family in the car!! ( when I got home I would need to change my underwear )

deadlights88:
I would have turned my windshield wipers on when it was laying across it. The snake would have flown right off.

Melissa Christenson:
I would of sprayed it with the water, just glad it fell off before they parked.

TKsMommie:
I would have lost my mind. Snakes scare the hell out of me. My kids would have thought it was awesome but I would have been in tears. And I would have kept driving for fear if I stopped it would somehow get to me!!

alisabethjaimes:
I don't think it's fair to say the women's a hazard. I know if it was me in her place I'd be freaking out, which would freak the kids out. So I commend her for staying relatively calm.

bstb29:
Cool? video dude ! The folks complaining must have animal rights issues ! Perhaps they are jealous of your video ! I would have done the same "dumb" thing !

momtolittleg:
Wow. Yikes. I have to question why they didn't IMMEDIATELY pull off the road. Seems like that would be a dangerous distraction, especially going 65mph down the highway! I wouldn't have been too worried since the windows were up and the snake was on the OUTSIDE, but I wouldn't have gotten out of the car until someone came to remove it. But, yeah, driving with that thing on the windshield- not very safe.

MichaelPatrick:
I would have helped the Snake. All they had to do was pull over and let the Snake off the car instead of acting like they had no common sense.

This is a family of idiots. I hope they have both been fixed so they don't make any more than they already have. I hear he is a preacher but his disregard for life is quite apparent. Why couldn't they have pulled over somewhere and let the snake get off of their SUV?

sandrsofias:
Pull over and let the snake go. I can't be the only one with this level of common sense.?

What do you think? If it had been a bird or chipmunk trapped on the hood, would you have pulled over? Are snakes, feared and despised by millions, less worthy of your concern?

Snake on a car! Memphis family watches as snake slithers over windshield while driving on highway (New York Daily News)

Huge Snake on Car Windshield Takes Family for Wild Ride (VIDEO) (The Stir)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...id=94492&tsp=1

Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Katie.Shinkle
Wow, poor thing. Looks like a rat snake, abundantly common in TN, and obviously non-venomous.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
dragonfly_dust
The fact they didn't care about the snake isn't what ticks me off the most about that video. It's the fact that they DIDN'T PULL OVER! If something distracting is on the hood of your car, you're suppose to pull over so you don't get into a car crash! Idiots...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!