Scenting pinkie with? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
GargoyleStomp
Scenting pinkie with?

Have you guys heard of scenting a pinkie with fish for hognoses instead of a toad? I think i saw it on snakebytes tv and was surprised. Mine eats only toads

Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
~Just Curious~
I've heard of people doing that for hoggies. I forget which forum it was on exactly, I think it was some UK one, but they spoke about using canned tuna and salmon. Supposedly tuna worked really well for them, but I have to say that it didn't work for me at all the two times I tried it. Different tastes? Different... tuna brand? lol I can't say.

While my female western eats everything she can shove down her gullet ("hog" suits her) my male was kind of a poor starter, so I found a breeder who gave me a few albino bullfrog tadpoles. I had them frozen in a small baggie and when it was feeding day, I'd stick a pinky inside and just thaw them out all together. He'd eat the pinky then and I could refreeze the tads for next time. They lasted quite a while this way before showing any signs of getting funky, so I didn't have to constantly keep buying toads.

After about two months, he no longer needed them to be scented. However he's still cup fed. If I leave it in his tub, he'll just ignore it and if I try moving it around as if it was alive, he'll flip out on me. So I just stick him in a deli cup with the f/t pinks and he eats them fairly quickly now. (It's gross, but I found that braining the pinky in the beginning helped too.)

What are you offering yours now? Just toads? Live? How often do you try scented rodents?
Best of luck converting yours! I hope that you can find an easier/cheaper alternative~

Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Frank_S
Yes I have used fish sent in the past and have had it work very well. It sounds strange but I have also used egg sent with success for hogs and other picky hatchlings. I would put a pink in an empty egg shell after I made breakfast and get it all good and slimy. Dont know why I tried it but it works on some.
Frank

Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
hadenglock
Depends on what kind of hog your dealing with, if its an eastern, they are known to be frog/toad eaters and ive heard switching them to eat rodents can be difficult at times. If you have tried one species of fish and it hasnt worked try others. Ive heard tuna works well, but ive heard of breeders scenting them with pretty much anything to get them to eat (even hotdogs! not sure if it worked but hey at least you cant say you didnt try). have you tried scenting with salamanders?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!