Need help with my new baby beardie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
barbaracarra
Need help with my new baby beardie

Hi, I purchased a baby 17 days ago. The first twelve days he ate great. Crickets, meal worms, fresh greens. However the last five days he hasn't eaten much at all. I've been doing a lot of reading to learn all I can and have learned that mealworms aren't a great idea. I've been misting him three times a day and he seems to be hydrated. He has had a bowel movement this morning but he has lost some weight. When I pick him up sometimes his head shakes. I have a UV and heat light. Warm side is around 100 cool side around 80. Do you think he will start to eat when he's hungry? Do I need to be doing something else? He has live crickets and fresh greens available.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
hadenglock
increase the hotspot to about 110 if you can, try soaking him in warm water every other day along with the misting (the biggest deaths in baby beardies that i see is often dehydration) to ensure proper hydration. What kind of UV are you using? how big of an enclosure do you have?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
thejoshhh
Do not feed baby Beardies meal worms i know from experience from my first dragon they cant handle them. One of mine had a seizure from meal worms and later threw them up so the best thing would be to keep giving it warm baths to help it poop

Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
barbaracarra
Stopped giving him the meal worms. He had a bowel movement yesterday morning which I'm assuming is the two crickets he ate the day before. The UV I have says a Zilla 50 desert. 15Watt 120V. That's what the guy at the pet store sold me. Should I get a different UV? Really want this little guy to make it. He is alert and active just not eating. I've been misting him and soaked him in warm water yesterday. This morning I offered him crickets and finely chopped Kale.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
barbaracarra
Oh and also it's a ten gallon enclosure for now. He has a perch he climbs up to get near the light. A friend of mine is cleaning her 20 gallon out and will be having that soon.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
thejoshhh
Sometimes if you feed them a lot they wont eat for a day or two. Also the crickets ur feeding him should not be bigger than his head.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
barbaracarra
Well he had a bowel movement this morning again. I'm starting to think he may be eating a little when I'm not watching. I'm looking forward to getting the other tank. When I went to petco this morning to get a different bulb, one of the guys actually said he thinks I'm keeping the vid to hot. I can't believe that when everything I'm reading says I need his basking side warmer. I don't think those people have a clue to what they're talking about.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
barbaracarra
Well good news! My little guy shed today. Got his basing side as high as 105. He had some squash this morning and a bowel movement. I do believe were going to be ok. He's my first bearded dragon and I'm absolutely in love with him. Just want to do everything right.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
thejoshhh
Yeah the Basking spot should be 105-110 with a rock or something under the basking spot for him to lay on to help him digest his food

Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Mistyck
Should have a repti-sun 10.0 UVB light... That might be why he isn't eating.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!