genetics questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Snake-Queen
genetics questions

Until recently, I have only bred pretty "normal" dragons, some citrus and leatherbacks.

I have a male translucent that was bred to an Italian leatherback.
I now have 2 clutches that are more than 50% translucent.
My question is, is the trans gene dominate?

Some of the babies are also hypo.
does that mean both parents are het for hypo?

When trans babies are born, are their eyes black? Or does it come later for some? (Mine hatched with black eyes)

Is the leatherback gene dominate?

Thank you.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
OEdwards
italian leathers are co-dom and no i have not seen a dominant trans or hypo and i do not believe they exist hope this helps!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Snake-Queen
So if trans are not dominate, then how did I get so many trans babies?

I am so confused.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
Cache Reptiles
Quote:
I have a male translucent that was bred to an Italian leatherback.
I now have 2 clutches that are more than 50% translucent.
My question is, is the trans gene dominate?

Some of the babies are also hypo.
does that mean both parents are het for hypo?
For you to have produced trans from this pairing your leatherback must also have been het for trans. Although around 50% of the clutch would typically be translucent, that number is not set in stone. Sometimes more than 50% will be trans, sometimes less.

And yes, both parents must have been het for hypo for you to have produced hypos from this pairing.

Hope that helped.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
mikepanzarella
it works the same way with ball pythons well for everything but colors
correct me if im wrong (i have no experience with dunners,wilblits,axanthic,pied,silverback or zero dragons)
dunner:dom gene
leatherback:co dom
leatherback:recessive
trans:recessive
hypo:recessive
silverback,axanthic,zeros,wilblits,and pied all recessive (listed these on the same line cause they are rare)

Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
mikepanzarella
im sorry i also have no experience with the recessive leatherback

Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Cache Reptiles
The only one of those morphs that hasn't been proven out is the "piebald" or "paradox". CJ at DNA dragons attempted to prove them out by breeding "hets" out of Blood Bank's pied dragon. The following breeding resulted in no "piebald" or "paradox" animals.

Josh D. has also been working with this mutation and from what I've read believes that they are a random polymorphic mutation, that randomly occurs when both the hypo and trans genes are involved.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
mikepanzarella
Yea I figured pieds havnt been proven yet only seen the one visual
For me I cant explain the way the colors work cause i don't have the experience yet

Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Snake-Queen
Ok, so my trans male is also het hypo (possibly het leatherback, as roughly one 1/3 to 1/2 are either leatherback or microscale[some of the babies have almost no scaling or spikes])

The female Italian leatherback is het hypo het trans - as I have trans babies.

Now, I'm not positive she is Italian leatherback that is what she was sold to me as. She is smoother than my LB main breeder.

I appreciate all the info!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Cache Reptiles
Correct. With 1/3 to 1/2 of the clutch being leathers, it is most likely that she is a co-dom leather, rather than a recessive. For you to have produced recessive leathers, your trans male must also have been het for recessive leather. Also, you said that she is smoother than your other leatherback- often times the Italian (co-dom) leathers are smoother and more uniform than both American co-dom leathers, and recessive leathers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!