Brooks King Snake Balled UP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
mattwarbuckle
Brooks King Snake Balled UP

Hello! I'm new here, and I'm excited to join!

Last night, my Brooks King Snake balled itself up in the weirdest way, like it was squeezing its stomach. His head was out so he could keep watch, but he looked all kinked up and tightly balled, out in the open. I heated him up a bit and eventually he returned to "normal," searching around his room.

He ate just over a week ago, and had water and everything. I am concerned about him, obviously, and have no idea what this could be. I'm afraid for bad news But want to do what's right if he's sick. Please let me know if anyone has information? I appreciate this so much.

mattwarbuckle

Old 06-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
mattwarbuckle
Wife took pics

Here, I have these pics, if it helps!
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwarbuckle View Post
I heated him up a bit
Could you say a bit more about this part?

Typically snakes are offered a hot spot, and a cooler overall enclosure, so that they can thermoregulate as they desire. What is the temperature gradient in the enclosure?

Old 06-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
was he fed recently, right before this happened? It almost looks like he tried to constrict himself.
Is he okay now?

Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
That's a good point about a possible feeding issue.

Quote:
He ate just over a week ago
Given this, though, I wonder if the snake is actually crazy hungry -- feeding season is in full-on nutso mode in my rep room -- and found a wood shaving that smelled of rodent or something.

I've not kept getula, but some of my snakes would eat a brick if it smelled good to them, especially if it has been more than 5 days or so since they ate last.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
mattwarbuckle
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies!

He is acting alright now, and I am going to feed him in a few minutes. We just got back from being away, so I was a few days late.

He has a light on one side and a cooler area on the other side, so I turned it on at night instead of keeping it off like normal. A vet I called said to try that.

Thanks for your input. It felt to me like he ate a piece of bark or something and was squeezing it out. I'll be more diligent in the future about that! I am learning and not perfect at this, but he's well kept He's 4 and this is the first I've seen anything like this. I appreciate all your prompt replies, you've been a great help.

mattwarbuckle

Old 06-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
Socratic Monologue
I'm glad he's looking better.

When I said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I wonder if the snake is actually crazy hungry -- feeding season is in full-on nutso mode in my rep room -- and found a wood shaving that smelled of rodent or something.
I was thinking that the snake was constricting something strange (my snakes will constrict the hemostat if they miss the mouse I'm presenting). I don't think a snake can swallow a wood chip by itself. If something like that is swallowed because it is stuck to a rodent I don't know that any odd behavior would come from it.

Merely speculation on my part, though. The important thing is that all is well with the snake.

As an aside: I would not leave a visible light on 24/7. Animals need darkness to sleep. If you do find you need to provide heat during the night, an undertank heat pad is almost always better in every respect (power consumption, fire safety, ongoing costs for light bulb replacement, and providing darkness).

Old 06-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
and found a wood shaving that smelled of rodent or something.
that's what I was thinking as well, bedding or even the snake itself, still had a mouse smell.

I'm glad he's doing okay now.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
elena
Quote:
He has a light on one side and a cooler area on the other side, so I turned it on at night instead of keeping it off like normal.
mattwarbuckle
Stuart, do you have a way of accurately measuring and controlling the temperature? It's not enough to just have a light, you need to provide a specific temperature gradient.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!